Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question, but since I don't know I'm gonna ask anyways. I just put some 33x12.5's on my off-road about 2 weeks ago and I'm starting to hear some faint sqeaking whenever I apply the brakes. I only have 13,000 miles on my truck so I wouldn't think it's my brakes. I've seen and read about replacing brake lines and such when upsizing to larger tires and adding a lift. Well...I added bigger tires but no new lift. Does anybody know why my brakes might be squeaking??? It's really becoming annoying. I'm wondering if it is being caused by increased braking pressure from the tires. I assume this because it only started recently since I put the tires on. Any ideas????

·
Registered
86 Posts
My brakes have been squeeling since i bought the truck, its got 11,000 miles on it, the dealer told me theres nothing wrong with the brakes, its just brake dust and you really cant stop it unless you get some of the pads that dont produce any dust but there kinda expensive

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The brake pads have a "low brake lining warning indicator" which makes a sound of squeaky brakes. On the pads themselves, there is a metal tab, which will touch a part of the rotor, when the wearing gets down to a certain point. The squeaky noise will get louder the longer you wait. It only makes a noise when the brakes are applied. I waited until the noise was almost constant!...and finally replaced the pads!

Yes, the addition of larger tires will put added stress on your brakes due to the heavier weight of the huge rubber.

Im looking into a rear disc brake conversion, slotted rotors and steel-braided brake lines...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I will give them a little more time and see if it continues. At least now I have a good idea of whats going on and what to look for. Would it be a plus for me to go ahead and put better brake lines on now, or do I even really need them? These tires aren't that much larger than the stock tires. It may just be the brake dust like Big Truckin said.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My brakes started to make some noise at about 10k miles... The pads are good. I had my brother shop pull the pads and coat them with that anti sqeak stuff and it helped for a few weeks but then started again. If have noticed that if they start to make noise i can either push the brakes harder or let off and push them again and it stops.

Part of this is dust and I think that part of it has to do with the car wash that I take my truck to.. The high pressure hot water isnt good for the brakes or something.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Brakes squeaking could and probably is the dust being trapped between the pad and the rotor. There are several ways to fix this.

You can replace the pads with higher quality pads. That doesn't mean the top dollar pads you have to order from a catalog, just the premium pads from the local parts store. The manufacters use cheap parts at production to keep costs down and profit up.

If you do, or even if you don't replace the pads atleast buy a bottle of anti-squeak stuff from the parts store. I've seen it in a sqeeze bottle and its orange (atleast the stuff I use is), you put it between the pad backing and the caliper. Don't be afraid of this stuff, but don't slob it on there TOO heavy.

Another possibility is to buy and install slotted brake rotors. You probably won't ever need the cross-drilled and slotted rotors (thats primarily for HIGH performance cars/trucks), but the slots will help channel the dust and hot air away from the pads. Which will give you better braking.

Replacing the rubber hoses with stainless steel braided will make a HUGE difference in brake feel and functionality. You'll want to replace the rubber hose that goes from the frame to the axle (if applicable on newer trucks I'm not sure), and the rubber hose that goes to the brake caliper. The rubber hoses will flex when you force the brake fluid thru them, the stainless hoses will flex a little but NOT nearly as much as the rubber hoses. That lack of flexing will keep the pressure more steady which will result in better braking and a much more sure footed feeling in the brake pedal.

Just make sure you bleed the brakes out after you install new pads and or brake lines. You don't really have to bleed the brakes out after installing new pads, but if you think about it the fluid closest to the rotors will get hot and could boil under hard/consistant braking over the years. So if you bleed out the stuff closest to the rotor (pump the pressure up, bleed it, pump the pressure up and hold, then bleed it a second time should work fine) it will bleed off any boiled fluid or air that is in the lines. Which too will result in better braking.

-Chris

P.S.- Sorry for the long post, if its confusing let me know and I'll try to rephrase it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I agree with Chris, my brakes squeak as well it's just brake/offpavement dust between the pads and rotors. If your that concerned about it though, take it to a tire shop and have their mechanic test drive it and have them give you their "professional" opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts