Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a spring over on a 79 j10?
I have been planning to do this to mine but what concerns me the most is whether the axles will need to be cut and turned? How difficult is this procedure and can it be accomplished at home with the right tools?

1979 Jeep J-10
350ci chev.
T/H 400
205 T/C
Front:Dana 44 Detroit locked 4:56 m/hubs
Rear: Dana 44 spool 4:56
Tires: 36x12.50x15 super swampers

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My dad did that to his J10 like ten years ago. He did it right in our garage and he also reversed the shackles.It isn't to difficult. He had to cut off the spring pads that are in between the axle and leaf springs. He also welded his own blocks on the top of the axles for the leaf springs to rest on.He had to do alittle bit of cutting and welding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i obtained 8" lift for the front of my j10 with 4" custom shackle blocks and 4" black diamond springs. i have heard spring overs are dangerous. i thought about doing it but changed my mind. it can and has been done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
spring overs are very easy except you have to do a little welding sometimes.

probably if you look really close to your front diff there might already be spring pads mounted on the front for a spring over.

depending on the year the axle (if a dana 44)was intended for a chevy.do you have 5 or 6 bolt axles?

for the front the only thing you might really need would be a set of longer brake lines and lengthened shaft.

for the rear same thing for shaft and brake line but you will need to buy a set of spring mounts that weld to the diff.

the good thing with the back is you can install everything but dont weld he mounts yet.get it all set than set your pinion angle up so driveshaft is perefct than weld mounts.this works especially good if you are lifting it also but you probably dont need to as this will get you at least 6 inches of free lift and will ride stock because it is stock.

ps you will need shocks and with the right shock will articulate excellent to boot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts