Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who installed your own lifts.... Did you have to use a spring compressor in order to put the spacers in???How much did those run to rent????

Brett

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well I kinda installed them on my own with some help with a friend who owns his own shop. We lifted the truck by frame and let the front axle drop, therefore letting the spring decompress on its own. Just unbolt the shock and remove it.

If I am doing this wrong, someone please tell me.

Bob

·
Registered
923 Posts
When I installed my spacers I used spring compressors. It takes longer than the other way and is more of a hassle. However, in order to pull the springs out without compressing them you have to lift the truck up high enough to let the axle fall down. I used the compressor because I didn't have a way to safely lift the truck by the frame that high. As for renting them I work at O'reilly's (midwest parts chain) and we rent them for free. A 50 dollar deposit that is refunded in full when the tool is returned.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Haven't had to use a spring compressor on any of the 5 Rams I have done lifts on. The only thing you need to do is be sure that you raise the frame high enough (24" jack stands on a couple 4x4s works) to get max drop of the axle when the shocks are pulled.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I would recommend new shocks as the stockers will limit any travel, but they are not required from what I hear.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do I need longer control arms? I have gotten two different opinions: I have heard it would ride bad without them, and I have heard that I don't need them. The reason I am going with spacer is because I like the way my truck rides.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On 2002-01-10 18:16, 01 blue dodge wrote:
Do I need longer control arms? I have gotten two different opinions: I have heard it would ride bad without them, and I have heard that I don't need them. The reason I am going with spacer is because I like the way my truck rides.
i have heard that you should replace the lower control arms for anything more than a 2 inch spacer cause without it your axle would be pulled backward. let me know after you do it. if you can get away with it that would save me alot of cash cause eventually im gonna put on a 3 inch lift.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-10 19:30, chris 98 ramsport wrote:
On 2002-01-10 18:16, 01 blue dodge wrote:
i have heard that you should replace the lower control arms for anything more than a 2 inch spacer cause without it your axle would be pulled backward. let me know after you do it. if you can get away with it that would save me alot of cash cause eventually im gonna put on a 3 inch lift.

if you replace the lowers and not the uppers would you be able to adjust the caster back into spec? since putting in lower links would bring the axle forward but it would still be tilted back and possibly giving you more caster than need making it hard to steer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know of any 3 inch lift kits that come with uppper and lower control arms, usually it is just the lower and they are not even that much longer, the lower control arms in the Skyjacker lift are 3/32 longer than stock, but they are bigger than stock I think 1.75 tubing. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Most 3" kits use the same-length arms as stock, they are just stronger.

I'm running the stock arms as I didn't have a way to make new bushing inserts for the Rancho arms when I did the install.

I haven't had any problems with the setup.

Although I'd recommend new shocks. The stock ones are crap. Rancho RS5000 are nice and firm, but the RS9000s are worth the money. Especially if you splurge and get the remote controls for them.

Highway use I set them down on 1 both front/rear. Daily driving I set them at 3/1 front/rear as I drive a really twisty road and want the control. 1/1 tends to wallow a bit in hard turns.

5/3 will let you jump the truck and not bottom it out, even with a an extra few hundred pounds up bumper up front. Done it twice. Granted, they weren't high jumps (couple inches off a berm), but they were firm, controlled, landings that weren't harsh at all.

Oh, and side note, I have the dual-shock kit which includes one half-valved RS5000 in the stock location, and one fully valved rs9000 outside of the spring, behind it. That half-valved rs5000 is MUCH stiffer than stock. It was quite nice switching to them when I did the lift.

I put the extra RS9000s in a few weeks later, after putting on the bumper and wanting the extra ride control up front.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The 9000's were what I was thinking about getting, you wouldn't happen to remember the part #'s for them front and rear would you? Where did you get them? 4wheel parts has them for $262 with free shipping. Now I can't wait to get the lift in my truck, I got 1 inch add a leafs for the rear so it should be just about level, maybe a bit higher in back, but thats okay so it doesn't sag when I have stuff in back

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i put my spacers in without a compressor, but it would have made it a little nicer to have one. now i do, cus my bros XJ needed it. his axles wouldnt drop low enough. the ones i got were from harbor freight the regular prce is $9.99 but for some reason at the stores they have a problem ringing up the price that its marked at. i got them for $6.99. I really wish they would get theyre act together. haha, not. i love it!!! i go up to the counter with $100 worth, and walk out with more like 50-60. it feels so good. they have some pretty good deals on tools, even if they are cheap import crap sometimes. even the good tools break!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts