Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have read that some people are changing their speedo gear and some are using the sensor. I was told by the local 4x4 shop that my truck doesn't have a speedo gear that it is electronic. Is this true? Where can I get a sensor from and how much.. Thanks DDGETHS

98 Dodge 360 automatic

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thats true..I believe the 1997 and earlier use a speedometer gear and 1998 and later are electronic...

The Superlift Tru-Speed Calibrator is the only device out there right now for the Dodge Rams...

·
Registered
203 Posts
the electronic type is a bit expensive – i think a few hundred bucks. see unclemark’s post at

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.cgi?topic=2371&forum=11&10

i think he is also looking into this... you can also do a search on this site using keyword “truspeed” there are about 50 posts...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My speedo gear turns an encoder, which the computer uses to display speed. She's an old one! (94'Ram)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was reading Uncle Marks post that what was confusing.. Trying to figure out which one I had.. Just looked at rockymountain suspension. The have Superlift's Truspeed Sensor Calibrator for 163.00. 4 wheelpart 195.00.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
502 Posts
There are other companies out there that sell the same thing as the true speed for a lot less. it is just a matter of finding them.
http://www.krcperformance.com
They have one for $149. I have seem them less than that. I think the lowest was around $100.

Bill

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Anyone know how many teeth are on the tone-ring of the 9.25?

I think this can be done for VERY little $$.

couple of op-amps and a 555-timer with some misc caps/resistors.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Truspeeds andsimilar can be used on any year Ram, however, on 97 and earlier you can change out the speedo gear and get close, but not as accurate as the TruSpeed.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just remember that more times than not... you get what you pay for. Tell 4wheelparts and they will match the price and probably ship for free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts