Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far will I be off when I am lifted 3" and sittin on 305/70/16 on 16x10 rims?

Also anyone have a speed calibrator on there rig? Are they easy to install? Does it work?

Bob
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab 4x4, 5.2L

·
Registered
502 Posts
Bob,
what you need to do if figure out the OD of new tires and the OD of the old tires. Once you know them you should be able to figure out what the percentage difference in height is. With that you will now what percent your speedo is off.

As for the calibrator 4 Wheel Parts had an artical in one of their magazines about the install on a chevy. It didnt look that bad but I believe it does tie in somewhere between the ABS and the computer as well as the trans and the computer. I think it all depends on where the speedo gets it signal from.
You may want to check with Superlift and see if they have the install instructions anywhere that you can down load them or have them mailed to you before you buy it to see if you want to atempt the install.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Check out SUPERLIFT! They offer the "Superlift TruSpeed Speed Signal Calibrator". It's the only speed calibrator out there for the Dodge Rams:

http://www.superlift.com/

It's a 4-wire hook up. POWER, GROUND, SIGNAL IN, and SIGNAL OUT. You just solder the unit inbetween the speedometer sensor wire. The only difficult part would be to locate the correct wire! :D:

The best feature is that it is fully adjustable, so if you ever go to different size tires, or lower R&P gears, this unit is fully compatible with any tire and gear combination!!! :bigthumb:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab SLT 4X4 SB, 5.2L V8, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 Good~Year MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Racing Sidewinder Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Tunis,

Nice sales pitch but you forgot one very important thing.. It has two settings on it so if you have street tires and off road tires it can remember both. Just flip the little switch on it and you will have the second calibration.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On 2002-01-04 03:43, Anonymous wrote:
Hello!

Tunis is right!!!
I've got the Superlift Speedsensor Calibrator on my 1996 Ram and it's pretty easy to install.
It works just fine and brings back the shiftpoints to more stock settings also.
That's important cuz I haven't yet changed gears and with the 35" BF AT's the shiftpoints were off a little bit.
Now it feels much better especially around 55 to 60 mls.
You should also check out (KRCperformance.com), they do offer a similar Calibrator as well for less bucks and it seems that they know well about Rams.

Thanks
Hans.

Sorry It's me... I forgot to login.
SORRY
Hans

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What's the price tag of this speed cal gizmo?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks guys! Bill, I should go into marketing, huh? :lol: Yeah, I gotta get one of these installed into my truck...I hate having to drive 5 miles below what it actually reads in speed zones! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
superlift isnt the only company to offer a thing like this. while searching for performance parts for my ram i came across a company that had one that did the same thing. i didnt keep the link because it wasnt any cheaper than superlifts and now i cant find it again to prove that there is another company. it wasnt a major name brand but more like a dodge oriented performance company.
also remember the dealer can reprogram your pcm for the new tire size for about $80, but that doesnt leave you the option of conviently switching tire sizes like the superlift.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On 2002-01-06 08:26, shawn bentley wrote:
superlift isnt the only company to offer a thing like this. while searching for performance parts for my ram i came across a company that had one that did the same thing. i didnt keep the link because it wasnt any cheaper than superlifts and now i cant find it again to prove that there is another company. it wasnt a major name brand but more like a dodge oriented performance company.
also remember the dealer can reprogram your pcm for the new tire size for about $80, but that doesnt leave you the option of conviently switching tire sizes like the superlift.

Seems that you're talking of KRCperformance.com, they offer a Speed Calibrator for the Ram.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i thought it was KRC but when i went back to check their website i couldnt find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts