Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question to pose out there for you all. I have a 2001 Ram QC 4x4 and I JUST put 285 75x16's on it with Panther 130 rims. It looks good like that, I think. The question I have is that I am just like everyone else out there and can never leave well enough alone. If I put 2" Daystars under the front, will I need new shocks with that?
The other question is should I just go with the 3" suspension lift? Will the 285's look too small in the wheel wells with the 3", or will it look ok until the tires wear out in 40,000 miles?
Any one else have this set up? Give me your honest opinion on how it will look.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
537 Posts
For a 4X4, I would say just go for the spacers. You more than likely will not need new shocks, and the suspension will work fine. However, I would suggest a set of longer Rancho 9000's just to be sure, and to have great off-roading shocks.

·
Registered
969 Posts
A 3" suspesnion lift wouldn't really dwarf those 33's. In my opinion I would get a complete kit over just spacers.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i needed new shocks when i put my daystars on, but i have an offroad. i heard the stock ones will work fine with a regular 4X4. i'm thinking your gonna lose some travel though when you flex it out because the shocks wont be able to reach down any further. so it would give you 2 inches of height but not 2 more inches of travel.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...the 285's are almost equivalent to 33's (depending on tire manufacturer), so I would go with the 3" suspension lift. That's the usual combo: 3" lift w/ 33's. Going with the suspension lift will raise the entire truck to a higher and more level stance, where the spacers will just level out the front. My opinion though..you said you cant leave enough alone..I would hold off and go with a 5" lift with 35's... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i will be honest with you, i ran 285/75R16 duelers bone stock. they will rub on your lower link, but that is in the backspacing of the rim and has nothing to do with the suspension. you could put a 5" lift and it would still catch, but that is only at maxed out turning. if the rims you want are spaced farther out then that might fix that, but if you are planing on running a/t's insted of a m/t there will be no real problem.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
the thing with the daystars is most of the time you wont NEED new shocks. you can get away with the shocks you have on there. you will most likely benefit from longer shocks as mentioned up above. i would say go with the daystars, cus you could always keep them in when you get your lift, provided its a bigger coil and not a spacer lift. do the daystars now, and when you get the money for the shocks get them, unless you plan on getting the lift soon after, then just wait.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First...Thanks for the info out there.
Second...I guess my main concern was what the tires would look like in the wheel wells. I didn't want the truck to look like it was running around with doughnuts on the rims. The Panther 130's that I have on the truck look good with a fairly decent amount of backspacing. They look somewhat aggressive now.
Its not that I am trying to save up money. I have the money to go either way, just not enough to ditch the "new" 285's and get bigger ones quite yet.
I think I am going to go with the 3" lift. Now the question remains, which kit to go with. OR, does anyone have a 3" out there for sale? I know the price fluctuates from a bit over $400 to quite a bit more depending on the "extras".

Once again, thanks for the insight. Looking forward to posting a pic just as soon as I get it on line with the rest of your rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts