Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a family member that owns an 82' Dodge Ram 4x4 with a 318 2bbl. It has been lifted 2" and has 31's. Recently another family member borrowed it from the house (a young family member) and brought it back a mess. For some reason every now and then the rear end locks up completly. The back tires will slide about a foot then start turning again. This is all while off the brakes and clutch. It has an 4-speed manual, and the clutch seems ok. Does anyone know what might have went wrong? I haven't worked on rear-ends much.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Could be a busted tooth on the ring gear in the diff or a thrashed gear box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tranny seems alright, and the clutch is worn but ok. I have trouble getting the hubs to unlock now that they have beat on it so much. The truck only does it when I am going slow. When I am going fast it will kick. It shifts in and out of 4wd hi and lo fine. I use 4wd alot since it is a farm truck. The differential case looks like it was draged over something .

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
put in 4 wheel drive and see if it still locks up or if it locks up at both ends, my bet is with jason on the rear end.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i had almost the same problem and there is a pin in the middle of the spider gears in the rear end and that was broken and woulf splash up every so often and lock between the ring and pinion. check it man it really dangerous to drive that way. mine ended up breakin out and my axls started to walk out of the houseing at about 70mph and that make you check your shorts later.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thats a good reason to get some full floaters.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Definitely open the rear diff and take a look.

If it looks fine, does it only happen on pavement, and while turning? If the t-case is still engaging the front axle, the back tires will "hop" every so often while turning on pavement, and you'll feel the front steering twitch.

Just another idea, but I'd check that rear diff first.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ahhhhhhh yes, another humorous but not so pleasant Dd memory. Seems about 27 short years ago young Dd was toolin down the interstate on a pleasant midwest summer afternoon in a 68 Mustang. Having just tuned the car up with parts from some new fangled company called Accel, he decided, in a moment of testosterone fueled enthusiasm, to run the car thru a 1/4 mile marked off descretly on a less traveled portion.
Flooring the 200 ci six to near valve float, Dd, imagining he was Ronnie Sox, slid his foot sideways off the clutch. The desired result of smoking tires was unfortunatly and quickly interupted by a loud BANG..and forward motion was canceled. When the car would move, it would only do so in a clunky grindy jumpynow faced with the daunting task every youg man fears..How to say I broke YOUR car DAD!!! Seems those pesky spider gears couldnt handle the 5 grand clutch dump. Id pull that back cover if I were you...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was driving on a dirt road by my house. It did it once while going strait at about 25mph, and again about 35mph when I was getting on the clutch to turn the corner. Every now and then when I get completely off the clutch in 1st (really low), the truck will stop and start to shake real bad and the rear end won't go anywhere. If I put it in 4-wheel it will drag the rear-end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts