Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just got back from taking my truck to get aligned and they said i need a few parts.

all my balljoints changed
trac bar
right outter tie rod end

how much do each of those run and where is the best place to get them?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
how much is your truck lifted. I would buy dons track bar. can really help you on anything else, i would think the ones at auto zone would be fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 5" superlift suspension lift with 2" coil spacers to level it out. it actually messures at 7". i have 35"s on it now and my truck body is almost all the way above the tires

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would deffinetely get the track bar from Don Thuren on this site. Check out http://www.thurenfab.com. I know it's a little pricier than a stocker, but it's worth it, you won't wear this one out every month like the stocker, it's beefy as hell, and the RE joint at the frame helps, I gained a lof of flex from it. Not to mention that the bar is adjustable so you can recenter your axle from them spacers. It's well worth it, and Don is a nice guy and very helpful.

For tie rod ends, last time I priced it all 4 tie rod ends were upwards to $400 :shock: because you need to replace the entire tie rod/drag link, the ends aren't seperate. I don't know exactly which end it is that you need, it may be one of the cheaper ones but eventually you will need all new. When my wallet recovers from christmas I plan to fix my loose a$$ steering with Thuren stuff as well, for I think $410 you can get a setup that is way better than stock.

Ball joints shouldn't be more than $20-30 I don't think, but they are a bear to change. Gotta pullthe axles out and press the joints out of the knuckle if I remember correctly. You can check to make sure you really need them by jacking it up and seeing if you can wobble the wheel by pulling/pushing on the sidewall.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would really really like to get dons trac bar and get cross over steering as well but i dont know how much that is. can i just get ball joints from autozone or would the napa onces be better? i get a big discount as napa because i go to arizona automotive institute. does anyone know how much cross over steering would be for a 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4

by the way that link to dons page doesn't work :wall:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the same amount of lift on my truck and would highly recommend Don's tracbar. It is a high quality piece. If you have to replace the stock bar a few times, you will have the same money in Don's bar and his will last. I bought my ball joints at NAPA and after installing one side and learning how to use the ball joint kit from Matco, I changed the second side in less than one hour. I would imagine the tie rods will be of equal quality from NAPA.

·
Registered
896 Posts
you may as well suck it up and do Don's track bar and his crossover steering now. it may look like it's a lot of money, but in the long run your going to end up spending less in replacements.

(moderator; please delete this. i don't know why it got slapped up here twice)

·
Registered
896 Posts
you may as well suck it up and do Don's track bar and his crossover steering now. it may look like it's a lot of money, but in the long run your going to end up spending less in replacements. that is, other than the ball joints. just stick w/ napa and you'll be good. Don's heims are pretty much indestructable so you'll be good.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not sucking it up no one has ever told me prices or anything of what his stuff costs or where i get it from or anything. so that would help out a lot.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thurens website. http://www.thurenfabrication.com/

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah if you replace all the tie rod ends once that's almost the cost of his steering, but his stuff won't bend and wear out easily either. I'd go with the NAPA balljoints, I trust their products over autozzone for some reason.

If you decide to order Don's stuff, keep in mind that you most likely won't get it in a weekend. He makes everything as you order it, I think I waited like 3 weeks for my track bar. But that's expected from a one man fab shop, and it's worth it because his stuff is top notch. The locak shop here reccomended a DT track bar when mine went south because it was what they were used to, he never heard of Thuren. When I brought the Thuren bar there to have them weld the brackets on, he was impressed with the quality and will reccomend it to his customers in the future.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok awesome yea that is exactly what i want so i will be saving the money up for it because i drive my little 95 jeep wrangler most the time anyways.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
go to car quest for the ball joints and get moog they are the best ones. then just go to napa for every thing else but the track nag and get life time parts there the nget a don thurn track bar. i have all of this be sides don's bar (i will be getting it as soon as funds are there) and every thing seams to be working well better then the regular napa parts i put in the first time not knowing any better.

ps. i have a 2500 CTD so i dont know if that makes a difference in parts avalibility but good luck i spent 300+ on all 4 ball joints and two axle u-joints the parts will not be cheap

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
:withstupid: Don't get parts house brand-x ball joints. Go with Moog. I wish I had done that, but I went the cheap route, and now a ball joint I replaced only 35,000 miles ago is already as loose as the other 3 OEM ones that have over 103,000 on them.

Wish I had replaced them when I did my lift!
:wall:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts