Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this flier in the mail from Steven's Creek dodge that I had a 1:40,000 chance of winning a new 2002 Ram 1500. I figured, why not?

I didn't win it.

But the salesperson left me alone with a silver SLT 1500 4x4, with the 4.7L.

Aside from knowing that's it's underpowered (engine isn't enough for a grand cherokee, IMHO), I was VERY impressed.

Ok, I'll ignore IFS for now, it's ok for the masses, if we need a solid axle, we probably need the 2500 anyway. And the Hemi will be in the 2500... 345hp... drool..

Anyway, back to the 2002 1500s.

Get the power seats option, and you get very cool react-seat storage. The rear bench is split 40/60 driver/passenger. You can flip up the bottom of the seat (towards the back), and it and the seat-back fold backwards flat against the back of the cab. Then you can extend a HD cargo floor rated at 600lbs, or lift the cargo floor to reveal a 12"x12"x8" (VERY roughly) space for storage. I didn't check the passenger side, though, sorry.

The seats are pretty comfy, better than mine (2000 Ram, nice cloth). Armrest is bigger, has more storage, has partitions that fold-up out of the floor of the storage area, a removable coin-dispenser, and a 20A rated power outlet (12V lighter-style).

Lift the center seat in the front and another storage bin is there. UPSIDE: this bin is enclosed, but only a thin sheet of plastic between it and the space above the "hump" by the floor shifters. Easy to add the "remote" Cobra CB here, or make other modifications for things like amplifiers. You could run wires under the carpet from the dash back to this space, as the carpeted floor of the cab is exposed. DOWNSIDE: It's not sealed to the floor, little things will work their way out. But it makes running wires easier.

The dash is interesting. Same as the 2003 2500/3500, from the pics of them.

The white gauges are a personal preference, the dash is kinda barren looking at times in the center. Flat is the word I'd use to describe it (much like the nose of the truck). HOWEVER, this thing was made for aftermarket switches. You could remove the ashtray and put in a BIG panel of switches, or use any of the 3-4 smaller (2"x2") little flat spacer panels
that abound as switch-mounting locations. Several are screaming to be replaced by billet aluminum, LEDs, and switches. LOTS of flexibility here, unless the internal structure of the dash makes that unfeasible.

Under hood:

Where'd the engine go? Looks like the base of the windshield is now between the first and second V of cylinders, instead of the 3rd and 4th... Spark-plug changing on the 4.7 will be a complete nightmare. I couldn't even find them, gave up after a few minutes.

The under hood layout is nothing if creative. Some good, some odd, some probably downright bad.

Good:

- BIG battery
- You can change the air filter without removing the air box!!! it's over on the passenger-side, equivalent to where the stock V8 intakes connect to the fender.
- Funky radiator and A/C heat exchanger placement. The radiator is offset to the passenger side, and at a slight angle. Obviously it uses an electric fan. NEXT to it on the driver's side is the A/Cs radiator, so now the engine's radiator gets unrestricted airflow into it, instead of 2nd or 3rd-hand air (like mine with the A/C, then the tranny, then the engine radiator).

Odd:

- Coolant reservoir is above the radiator, uses orange coolant. Hides access to a lot of the engine.
- More wires/hoses than my 5.9L.
- Battery is easy to get to, but seems to be blocking access as well.
- Air filter is easy to get to, but blocking large empty area underneath it.

Bad:

- Hard to reach the filler caps for everything. They are all clearly marked with bright yellow, but I had a hard time reaching them on a stock 4x4, and I'm almost 6' tall. My 5'6" GF wouldn't be able to check oil or transmission fluid without a step-ladder.

- Seems like a lot of wasted space. The 2nd-gen trucks (as I guess I'll call the 94-01s) made pretty good use of the under hood area, aside from the nightmare of brake-lines around the ABS valves.

- Firewall is 12-18" back from the base of the windshield. Stuff is crammed back into these dark corners... Expect lots of scrapes/scratches/busted knuckles when working on these.

Ok, enough under hood talk.

The bed is nice. The tie-downs are well-located, and are styled after the cleats on boats. Very nice. Well placed, about 3" above the bottom of the bed, on the sides, in the lower corners.

The tailgate clicks shut quietly and solidly, doesn't sound hollow like mine.

The Silver paint is VERY nice... :): Tempting to get that instead of black on the 2500.... Hmmm...

It's a NICE truck, but a lower-case letter truck. I'm very interested in the 2500, though.

Also, the sales guy said not to take any 2500s off their lot, if you know what you want. Order it through their fleet department instead, that way you can be sure it has all the right options... Interesting, no?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The reason there is sooooo much space wasted upfront, is because of new safety standards for front crumple zones for collisions... another reason why the damn bumper is so low... that is the only thing I dont like... the 4x4's look like 2wds because of the low front end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any one tried putting in a sub box in this new quad cab? I am picking one up this Saturday (4.7, 5spd, silver 4x4). It looks like it might be a challenge in the back. Maybe the JL audio stealthbox front center cusion swap (waiting for JL's reply to see if they have one yet)?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Anyone seen the 2002 from the SEMA show with the lift in it. look wild, I saw it in either Petersons or 4-Wheeler:bigthumb

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enh.... Needs some seriously larger tires for that much lift....

Subs are going to be hard... can't put them under the rear seat unless you remove the cargo-bay floor section. Then it would be easy.

Maybe put a pair of 8"s under the front seats. It's what I plan on for my truck. Do sealed boxes, with the speakers firing up. But then I have a regular cab, and need the space behind the seat...

The stealth-box would need some work, but you could remove the plastic "bin" walls, and drop a custom box in there, I bet. _Might_ get a 10 in there, but you'd be pushing it for room. Probably an 8" again...

Best bet might be boxes behind the front seats, with strong steel grilles on them. LOTS of legroom.

I moved the seat back a ways, then sat in the back, and my knees didn't touch the front seat, and I've got some long legs.

So there could be room on the floor right behind the front seats that could be used.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I dont understand the need for big subs.. really! One 8" or two is all you really need! Anyway, thats just me. I like the new look. And am looking forward to see how the 2500 suspension looks like!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL...

For me, a pair of 8s is what I want. I want tight bass, controlled bass. I've seen a lot of larger subs that while producing TONS of bass, don't respond flatly, and tend to sound muddy.

The stock system almost has enough power for me. But I'm clipping the amp often in the mids with my Moby, Keoki, Tool and NIN CDs, and the bass lacks the punch from the amp that it needs.

Really I'm going for 8s to extend the low-end frequency range, and then want to hook them to an amp that won't fatigue nearly so fast as the stock ones do.

They clip early, and the bass sounds like they have NO capability to push currently often and quickly.

But I also need to have speakers with enough control on the mids/uppers to handle my classical, metal, and the lovely blend of them that Apocalyptica has. (4 cellos doing heavy-metal sounds. Amazingly cool rendition of Metallica's "One").

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I actually wonder if I should have stayed with the factory speakers and jus bipassed the amp to my pioneer amp i just got. The amp on the drivers side door fried so I replaced everything with new and a Pioneer amp. I almost wonder if I should have kept the factory speakers and hooked them up to the amp, i bet they would have sounded fine... because just like you said, the amps cut out, not the speakers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts