Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is gonna do a SOA on his 85 cj7 and he wanted to know any and all parts he will need to do it. I'm thinking he will need new shocks, spring perches, and a drop pitman arm. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sounds about right. Maybe new brake lines too. As far as steering, I think what he has to do is relocate the tie rod from under the knuckle to above it. Not sure if there is a bolt on conversion kit for this, or if he'll have to fab it up. I know Full Traction makes a bolt on SOA kit, they may have the correct parts.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i think it depends on the steering setup, cause i was under the impression all he needed was a drop pitman arm. I have heard of hysteer systems for SOA jeeps but I'm not sure what they consist of.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well I think the need for the tie rod relocation is that the tie rod sits right where the springs will be when he does the SOA. On a SUA, the tie rod is above the leaf springs, but on a SOA, it is under. See what I mean?

I read an article about it in a back issuee of Four Wheeler, if I can find it, I'll let you know what they did.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i see what your saying. I'm definitely no expert on springing over jeeps so if you could find that article that would be sweet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea under compression the tie rod may hit the springs on a SOA Jeep, also bumpsteer might be bad. They dont make drop pitman arms for 5.5"-6" lift (that I know of) so a highsteer system would be a better bet. You could always do the SOA and the drop arm and see how it works, and go to highsteer later. Your driveshafts might not work with that amount of lift either. Is he going from a stock Jeep to SOA? Because rear driveshaft vibration could be a big problem also. Will need to do a T-Case drop and maybe a Tailshaft conversion later, and CV Driveshaft. (if still vibrating) SOA is the way to go though, so dont let him get discouraged.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah this is a bone stock CJ7 thats getting the SOA. We'll see how much height he will get when we measure the axle, springs, and perches. If it is 5" or more than he will have to go to a different steering setup and modified driveshafts. The good thing is that this is not his daily driver so we will spring it over and then see all the additional parts he needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts