Off Road Vehicles banner

slow jeep build

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jasonlmrx 
#1 ·
well, has some of you might remember awhile back I bought a jeep and ended up selling it, well I just talk to the guy that bought it off of me, and I bought it back, he did some modding to it,

the jeep was a 2 door, 4 cyl, standard, 4" lift, 33's

the guy that bought it off of me cut the roof off and started to make some kind of truck, I liked it, so I bought it back, it will be a good base to be my dedicated mudder,

im hoping to swap out the motor sometime this winter, for something more powerfull and also put two Dana 44;s with 4.10 gears under it, build a roll cage inside and a back rack with some lights and custom front and rear bumper,

so yea, anyone know any kind of good strong motors that could go into this thing nicely? haha I will do anything I have to do to make things fit building is not an issue I was thinking a 350 but I was also thinking maybe a newer 6cyl, will be used primarily for moderate mudding and fishing trips and trails,

last time I owned it lol..

when I picked it back up hahaha

once in the shop,

so I will be ripping the unibody off the frame this winter and getting on with the axles and motor fitment if I find out what kind of motor I want, I can get my hands on a 5.0 stang motor but im not sure if it would be the best for this.

any suggestions or ideas welcomed I got lots of time to do this haha.

See less See more
#3 ·
not sure on the wood work lol, I will be making some steel panels after installing the roll cage inside of it, im thinking im going to leave a big opening and make a drip U shape lip at the top, and probably get a window/leather piece in the back so I could unbutton it and take it off when Im out trailing and such and im guessing il go from there,

I have a couple 318's at home but im not sure if that's the motor I want,

I could get my hands on a 1.9 turbo diesel VW Jetta Motor, but I don't know if I could get enough power and make it mate with a tranny to make it four wheel drive, its all planning right now,

#4 ·
You may want to run some tube like a roll bar that has some support legs, weld the roof to it, then canvass snap to it?

FYI on the Jetta turbo motors .... the cams have cheep metal and I saw one that the cam lobs had worn off with recorded oil changes not missed. not something I would put in a jeep. .. or if you do make sure it goes in with a new cam.

The diesels in the old Merc 300's are really good if can mate that up? or best are one of the 3.0's Merc they have in the Fed-Ex delivery vans....I have the same 3.0 Merc diesel in my 08 Cherokee and it hauls.

07 or 08 Cherokee's have the diesels in them, if you want to go diesel.

#6 ·
yea I wanted to go diesel, but I might just end up keeping the 4 banger it has lots of power, it also has a fresh rebuild we will see once I really get going with it, I used to have a liberty diesel before they were not to great,

went riding this weekend with it, found a big freaking hole in a boat launch lol, it was fun.

I will do a bit of work to it this week, and we will see what comes out of it, I will most likely be going for a ride next weekend and I will take more pictures,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.