Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some play in my steering gearbox on my 97 ram 1500. I have been told that you can take that play out by adjusting a bolt on top of the steering box. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It depends where the play is in the box. but there is an adjustment screw on the top of it. You could have slop in the sector shaft, I dont think the bolt on top helps that prob. out any.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
the bolt on the top of the gearbox is for adjusting the sector shaft vertically. if you tighten it down it makes the gears on the shaft mesh with the worm gear on the main shaft in the box. the teeth on the sector shaft are tapered, so pushing it down decreases the gap in between the worm gear and sector shaft gear. sorta like adjusting pinion depth on an axle. it will take some play on, and make your steering feel tighter(like if your going straight down the road you can take your hands off the wheel and it will have enough resistence to steer straight). the downside is ive heard it also wears the gearbox quicker, how that is possible i dont know. if you need a new box, look up power steering repair on the web, there are 3 places i know, one in chicago that wants $250 plus shipping and core, one in missouri that wants $225 plus core + shipping, and one in michigan that wants $175 plus core and shipping. they are rebuilt but still a replacement. or you can look on ebay. i had gotten a brand new one off there for $100.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Where could you find heavy duty steering box?? Bigger tires do wear out the power steering faster so when I replace mine I wouldn't mind getting a heavy duty box.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I adjusted the bolt. It only tightend the steering. It had no effect on the slop. I found a gear box at advanced auto for $169 plus core. Lifetime warranty. I am going too goahead and replace the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
get an agr box from 4wparts. i got the 20:1 steering ratio and love it i have an ext cab and 36" tires. My truck turns better than the girlfriends 2002 wrangler. It is quite impressive. The 20 to one says for offroad only not for use on short wheel base vehivles. I could see it being an issue up above 70 trying to do an evasive manuver but then again with my height I think it would roll anyway at that speed.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-02 19:20, Jhoward wrote:
I adjusted the bolt. It only tightend the steering. It had no effect on the slop. I found a gear box at advanced auto for $169 plus core. Lifetime warranty. I am going too goahead and replace the gearbox.

you got lucky, none of the parts stores in my area had them. the slackjaw idiot at pepboys in chicago ridge, il, said "huh, what do you mean steering gear box, no such thing."

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I´m loocking for an AGR Steering Box and a Super Pump, because I´ve had some problems with my stock steering box, since then, I don´t trust my actuall steering box, thas why I want the AGR, I´ve read that someone has one, please tell me how it works and if you changed the pump to. I was seeing in http://www.agrperformance.com, and there are two steering boxes, one for offroad, and one for on and offroad, wich one you have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an SB-2 AGR box (I think this is now called SV) and the stock pump. I like the easier steering. In my opinion, with the the AGR pump as well the steering would be too soft.

The AGR box is basically a built stock unit. It has the same problem with the sector/pitman shaft as the stock units, though - the shaft is undersized for the needle bearing so there is a lot of side-to-side play at the pitman arm. I have yet to see an OEM or AGR box that does not have this excessive play (some is necessary).

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Badunit, so, you´re telling me that the AGR box is as good as people tell?, because if it is like that, I would think three times before buying one, because I don´t want problems and also don´t want to change the OEM box for other that will have the same problem. Does the AGR box worth the dolars that you spend?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-04 08:10, HotChiliRam wrote:
Badunit, so, you´re telling me that the AGR box is as good as people tell?, because if it is like that, I would think three times before buying one, because I don´t want problems and also don´t want to change the OEM box for other that will have the same problem. Does the AGR box worth the dolars that you spend?

i think basically your paying for the different ratio. the one place that rebuilds them in chicago charges $225 for regular and an extra $75 to change the ratio.

·
Registered
969 Posts
dgeram4x, is that 20:1 ratio too tight with gradual turns on the highway?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm saying that the AGR box doesn't eliminate the play in the steering box sector shaft. They added a bushing that may help a little for a little while but it isn't much and I didn't notice any reduced play on the two I've had (first one made a noise, the second was a warranty replacement). But I did notice that my steering returned to center better with the AGR and it definitely steers more easily. Both of these things did help in the overall steering feel. I tried everything with my OEM box from tightening up the adjustments to making them really loose to using synthetic oil to jerking around with the alignment and it never returned to center well. It does now with the AGR box I have.

I wish someone had a fix for the play. From what I can tell, the shaft is too small in diameter. Building up the diameter of the shaft so it is a better fit with the bearing would be expensive. Getting a custom bearing made would be more expensive (unless we're talking large quantities). I've considered replacing the needle bearing with a custom-sized bushing but I'm not convinced it would hold up to the pressure so I haven't done it yet. Next time I get fed up with my steering I just might give it a try.

Bottom line: I like the AGR much better than stock but it did not eliminate the steering play.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Understood. :bigthumb: That´s great, because one of the problems that I have is that the steering don´t return to the center alone, that´s very unconfortable and dangerous, and if the AGR will solve the problem, I will go for it, the steering play is not much a problem for me, because is not to much. Also the AGR steering box suposed to be reinforced, so I beleive that it will last longer than the Stock.
Correct me if I´m wrong

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Outlaw,
It is GREAT! I drove up 80 to reno through the mountains and it made for a nice drive. I don't see any reason not to get 20:1 if you are running larger than stock tires. 33 or bigger.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
adjusting the bolt on the top is supposed to have it return to center better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Other than that bushing, I don't see anything that different about the AGR.

It is true that if you adjust the steering gear too tight it will have poor return to center performance. However, even adjusted extremely loosely, my OEM box never returned to center well.

I also adjusted the caster to see what it would do. This only made the steering more difficult and actually made my truck harder to keep in the road (it needed much more steering effort and that accentuated the play). I tried adjusting the caster the other way. The steering was much softer and the perceived play was less but it was a little jumpy on lane changes. I adjusted the caster to where I thought it felt best and then played with toe-in. I toed it out a little then toed it in a little to see if I could feel a difference. I think it feels more stable with more toe-in. Right now it's toed in about one turn from where it started and it steers well but I'm still watching for tire wear. By my calculation that is an additional toe-in of 0.5 degrees. The toe-in spec is +/- 0.10 degrees so this is relatively a lot.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well I've been putting it off for a while but I hope to replace the steering box sometime this summer. I'll look for some prices on the 20:1 ratio.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
the price is the same for either unit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I put on the steering gearbox that I got from advanced auto, and it works perfect. To be honest with you I can't really notice any play in the steering at all, and the wheel is so easy to turn that I could steer it full left to right with one finger. For $169 I really am happy with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts