Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new lift for a 2001 Ram 1500, what is your guys opinions? the pro and cons?and personal choices for either a Skyjacker or Fabtech lift kits.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I love my Fabtech, but if I was lifting it again I would go with the new 7" Skyjacker. I definitely recommend you wait a couple of months for that one.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Should be a little less than 2 weeks, they were waiting on some springs to come in before releasing. I would go with the 7" Skyjacker as well, nice to clear 40's without a body lift! But I would go Skyjacker definitely, the Fabtech is a nice kit, but you have to do some cutting and welding on that kit I believe, whereas the Skyjacker is all Bolt on.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
This reply is not for the Topic, but I have a doubt, Does anyone knows if there is any 2"body lift for Ram´s?
If there is one, do you need to cut the same parts that you cut with the 3" Body Lift?

Just questions, now, after y saw Beast´s and Punkine.....´s truck, I really like the way your trucks looks with 35´s and 8.5" or 9" of lift, also I think that your tires don´t rubber a bit, cuz mine does.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys, every bit counts when it comes to the truck, skyjacker has those rumors about it saging after a couple of months? Do yall think thats true?

About the body lift I don't think manufactuers make it, but always trying with the local shop.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think every time you put on coils(the front) it is going to sag a bit. Doesn't matter who made the coils. After they are new they have to relax at least a bit over time. My skyjacker 5.5 settled after about 3 months. It is still plenty high though. Well not plenty as I keep thinking about a body lift for no reason....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I saw that performance asscessories has a 2" body lift for every new ram (94+) except a 2000-2001 with a auto tranny. <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://performanceaccessories.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

·
Registered
962 Posts
On 2002-04-29 22:57, 77Blaza wrote:
i doubt that 7" lift will clear 40's add a 3" body and i dont see a prob with that size meat.

Why wouldn't a 7 in clear 40's. I only have 5.5 and beleive I could clear 37-38. I think the 7 would clear 40... What does skyjacker say about this...

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I tried to buy the 2" rather than the 3" body lift for my 01, but no dice with the auto. That's alright, once the Skyjacker 7" hits the streets I'm probably going to be bitten by the bug and will end up selling my Fabtech and going with it. That's why they call em money pits :):

·
Registered
807 Posts
most rams with a 5 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift can only clear 38's while stil having the tires stick out a little. so 40's wont clear with a 7 inch lift. unless its a real skinny tire and theyre flush with the body. but that would look dumb and wouldnt be very stable.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've been thinking aobut this.

The 7" kit is 7" of lift, in the front, when parked. That's normally how it's measured.

You can clear some HUGE tires when measured that way. I clear 35" tires with 3" of lift, with another 4", I should be able to clear 43"s.

But 43s will rub when they are stuffed, right? Well what if you design the kit to not compress much, but have massive amounts of droop.

Which, if you look at the photos, is what they did. The upper link is pretty much parallel to the ground, and due to the length and position of the lower link, the lower link would likely strike the upper link under heavy compression. Now look at the bump-stop, it's HUGE, they are definitely limiting compression with that setup.

The long-arm kits on the jeeps are amazing, but it's almost all droop, but not much compression unless you start trimming the body.

I'm going to call skyjacker and get travel specs for the system.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
There is no way the 7" skyjacker on a 1500 will clear 40's with no bodylift, unless you cut the fenders and let the tires get cut up. I think 40's will be the max even with a 3" bodylift. Most guys that are running 5.5 + 3 are running 37"-38" tires, the so the new lift is only 1-1/2" taller, that will probably let you throw a 39.5" in there, I cant see a 42" swamper fitting without destroying the front fender wheel.
Maybe on the 3/4 & 1 tons.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well I run wide 35's with a 5.5" suspension and 3" body, thats 8.5" total. I would definitely feel comfortable throwing 36's under my truck but that is the max. I am always stuffing my tires into my fenderwells and if you want the ability to flex, I wouldn't go with more than a 35" under the 7" and I wouldn't even go as wide as my current 15.50 inch setup on the 1500. Now what I'm wondering is being as the 7" is going to be available for 1500, 2500, and 3500's does that mean 7" of lift over all of their stock heights? We all know that a 2500 sits higher than a 1500 so I might consider 36's on a 2500.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i think 36's would clear well on about a 5" lift on a 2500. all i have is the daystars and im pretty sure i could fit 35's with minimal rubbing. 7" would clear like 38-39's, thats it, but thats also on a 2500. i could see 38" MAX on a 1500.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ok, here's the scoop I got from their tech-line.

Guy I talked to hasn't seen it flex, so can't comment on that. BUT the silver ram in the press-release is running 39.5x15.50, is street-driven often by the owner of the company, has no rub, and skies over the 39.5s.

The guy on the tech-line said 40s are no problem. I had originally heard 42s with rub, 40s no rub, and this sounds like it will confirm it.

1/2-ton kit will be out next week, and once it's out, and they get thier rock garden built, they should have some firm numbers on suspension travel and ramp results.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On 2002-04-30 16:16, woody wrote:
....and they get thier rock garden built, they should have some firm numbers on suspension travel and ramp results.

I like that, five minutes w/ a forklift and they could find out ever number they would ever want or need. hell, i use our ship/receiving dock ramp.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
hey, you think they'll make a 2500 version?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts