Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting putting a 3" coil spacer lift on top of the 5.5" Skyjacker lift. I know I will have to replace the control/trailing arms. Will the single flex be enough? Or will I have to use double flex?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-02 00:49, mykster wrote:
I'm looking at putting putting a 3" coil spacer lift on top of the 5.5" Skyjacker lift. I know I will have to replace the control/trailing arms. Will the single flex be enough? Or will I have to use double flex?

neither one is going to help you out. grant it the double flex is "adjustable" both ways, but you can only have 1/2" of the heims thread exposed, and you just about have that at the length they tell you to tune the links to. the double flex is nice and beefy, but is a pain in the ass to setup. skyjacker needs to look at Competition Engineerings 4 links on how to build them. if they had put some sorta of hex in the middle, you wouldnt have to tear up the paint on the links with a pipe wrench. then the use of not using double jamb nuts. that would of solved the problem also.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
you have the 5" Skyjacker now? the ones that come with the lift are all the same in length, whether it be standard, single or double flex. you may want to look into a custom set-up, or will the 5" arms work with 8" of lift??? anyone... :?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Nope, you are getting in to the world of custom lifts now. If you throw a 3" spacer on top, it will change the geometry of the front end, the axle will be too far back. A 2" spacer on top is about as high as you can go with the standard 5" control arms. Although, I don't reccommend spacers at all...bad juju

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was under the impression that the only difference between the single and double flex was the extra large hiem joints.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-04 11:47, Outlaw Ram wrote:
I was under the impression that the only difference between the single and double flex was the extra large hiem joints.

as far as i know youre correct. upper link is 17 3/16" lower link is 19 9/16" for the double flex.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The difference between single and double flex is single flex has heim joints on one end of the control arms. Double flex has the heim joints on both ends. The arms are identical in length. You will have to get longer control arms to re-center the axle if you throw a 3" spacer on the 5" coil. You have no choice if you want it to be right and safe to drive on. I have researched ALL different combinations of lifts to get the maximum amount of lift with the maximum amount of articulation. Guess what, none of the combinations I did had spacers involved. I wonder why that is...hmmm...If you want to make a good lift, do it right and get the necessary equipment to begin with. Do like Biginuf did, special order some longer springs, and have control arms stretched. Any good welder can do it, and pretty cheap as well if you provide the parts. Or get the new 7" Coil-Over Skyking system that is coming out from Skyjacker. Lift kits and systems are not limited to what they come as. After all, YOU payed for it, make it the way you want it!

My .02

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I was seeing the 7" coil over lift and it´s awesome, but it worth near the 5K dolars, I know that you can get a great config. with less money and a little creativity. Watch the guy of the Black Ram of http://www.skidplateoffroad.com, someone out there told that the lift is custom made by himself, copying it from a 6" Dick Cepek, that is a clear example that you can make anything you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts