251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well we have a thread for the trucks that haul the trail rigs
how bout showing the trailer that you guys use
brand length gvwr etc

G

·

2007 hooper big boy 10,000 lb 18ft deck

drop axles, electric brakes on both axles, led lighting and the best part.... removable fenders, i can just drive right on without having to put little tires on :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Home built, 30 foot deck, 2 braking axles, LED lighting, 14,000lbs GVW. Its getting reworked this month. Got 2 new 8 lug 7000lbs axles, 4 16" white modular wheels wrapped in load range E Good Year Marathons. I want to ditch the mobile home axles.
This load weighed in at 22,000lbs GCVW.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
ive got an 18 ft 7000lb trailer. bumper pull with electric brakes. this is a old pic of it but ive since added 6 d ring shackles, led lights, and a 5000 lb winch. im in need of a nice goose neck since the truck weighs in at 6300 lbs. a little too heavy for the trailer.

my s10 fits perfectly though

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i wanna no what u guys think?
my dad and i are thinking about splitting the cost of a flatbed bumper pull
it will have 3 main uses pull 2 or more 4wd quads
dads 70 mustang
and my 90 2dr short 1/2ton (not much right now untill i get a tow pig and start wheeling it)

i was thinking we could get away with a 16ft 7k trailer
or should we go for an 18ft 10k trailer?

G

·
your better off with the big one from the start, then you know you are never overweight and you are able to pull whatever you need to.

be sure to get proper chains and binders or proper rated straps.

with a trailer, overkill is always a good thing, you don't want a problem or someone getting hurt or a lawsuit from improper securing or overloading, its cheaper now to have the right stuff then to be sorry later if something happens which could get costly.

G

·
what are you going to pull with?

a car trailer should not be pulled with a 1/2 ton and you need to make sure you are using a properly rated hitch, they look the same but they are not.

watch the hitch ball you could end up with a 2 5/16 ball that only a 6000 lb ball pulling a 10,000 trailer, those are the sort of things the police/state patrol look for, you need to make sure EVERYTHING is rated for what you are doing, i can't stress that enough, its for everyones safety and in your financial interest as well.

don't forget insurance on the trailer as well(mine is only an extra $25 every 6 mo)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Homebuilt 16ft deck.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
24 foot gooseneck car hauler. Dual 7K lb axles LED lights, the fenders are 6" channler iron so they can just be drove over. With the dovetail I dont ever even pull my ramps just drive right on and off of it!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2008-12-09 09:04, outalne94z71 wrote:
what are you going to pull with?

a car trailer should not be pulled with a 1/2 ton and you need to make sure you are using a properly rated hitch, they look the same but they are not.

watch the hitch ball you could end up with a 2 5/16 ball that only a 6000 lb ball pulling a 10,000 trailer, those are the sort of things the police/state patrol look for, you need to make sure EVERYTHING is rated for what you are doing, i can't stress that enough, its for everyones safety and in your financial interest as well.

don't forget insurance on the trailer as well(mine is only an extra $25 every 6 mo)

hahaha no my truck wont be pulling it

dads 04.5 2wd cummins with powerpup will be

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Heres my trailer. 25' Load max with dovetail and ramps. Its got (2) 7500 lb axles under it. It hauls everything i need it to.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
2003 texas something .... 7000gvw one braking axle 20 foot deck

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
depending on cargo at the time

·
Registered
56 Posts
So i have a question on y you should not be pulling trailers with a half ton pick up thats all my family has ever used

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
chrisduecy said:
So i have a question on y you should not be pulling trailers with a half ton pick up thats all my family has ever used
You can pull a trailer with a half ton. Many people do everyday. Just make sure its not over the weight that a truck can safely tow. If your towing your boat the the lake once a month, a half ton would be fine. But if your towing a large gooseneck trailer and a full size rig (12,000lbs) every weekend then you will just hate it. Plus the truck wouldnt hold us as well. They cant handle the weight and they dont have the torque a diesel has.

Each truck has its pros/cons. I personally have towed with both a gasser half ton and a diesel. I hate towing my 14ft trailer and mower (roughly 3000lbs ) with the gas truck. its just a dog, and doesent tow nearly as good as my diesel. If its something more than a few miles or weighs alot, i will use my diesel 10:1.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I haul stuff... 40" 21k lb heavyass 07 goose :bigthumb:

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can pull a trailer with a half ton. Many people do everyday. Just make sure its not over the weight that a truck can safely tow. If your towing your boat the the lake once a month, a half ton would be fine. But if your towing a large gooseneck trailer and a full size rig (12,000lbs) every weekend then you will just hate it. Plus the truck wouldnt hold us as well. They cant handle the weight and they dont have the torque a diesel has.

Each truck has its pros/cons. I personally have towed with both a gasser half ton and a diesel. I hate towing my 14ft trailer and mower (roughly 3000lbs ) with the gas truck. its just a dog, and doesent tow nearly as good as my diesel. If its something more than a few miles or weighs alot, i will use my diesel 10:1.
[/quote]

i pull my 85 K10 about three times a month to my buddies houses to play in the mud. and i do it with my 98 chevy Z71 4wd with the 5.7L i dont have any problems as far as power is concerned and it does pretty good on gas mileage as well but thats just me

1 - 20 of 20 Posts