Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I can get more for my truck if I sell it on my own but I am wondering if I should go through the hassle of selling it or take a little less for it and trade the thing.
There is a difference of $3800 between the trade in blue book and the private sale blue book. The dealer said that they would give me about $1000 more than the trade in blue book if it doesnt need anything. So that only leaves a difference of $2800 and no hassles.

I have never tried to sell anything worth this much before so I am torn as to what I should do.

Thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd say it depends on how much time you have to be with potential buyers??? personally I could do a lot with 2800 extra bux...Also how soon are you gettin a new truck????

brett

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about 6-8 weeks before the new truck should be here. I will have a better idea this week of exactly when it will be here in a couple weeks. I don't want to try and sell it too soon or have to try and sell if after I already have the new truck..
I would need to keep less than a week between selling the old and receiving the new other wise I end up driving my Mustang all the time which is not good since it id basicly a race car.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,

I ordered a 02 Ram 2500 Quad cab short bed. It will look a lot like what I have now only in Graphite with the Diesel. I went with the auto since I don't do much towing.

I had my stereo all pulled out today. All that is left on my truck to remove is the headers and Mopar Polished valve covers. I will probably leave the shift kit in it.
I am leaving the grill guard and steps on it.

I figure that I will give my brother first shot at the headers since he is going to do the uninstall even though he doesn't know it yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bil_L just curiuos is your truck leased? i am just wondering becuase my 2001 is for another 2 years, but i put a k&n gen2 and a catback exhaust on i, and took off most of the decals and molding, also i put a few little things on like a tonneau cover, bedliner, mud flaps, sweet tooth grille. i was thinking of buying it out and putting all sorts of mods on it but now i am kinda undecided if i want to trade it in and get something new,and just keep this fine tuned, not konwing if its going to be a dodge or not, will they take a truck back without the decals, i have all the stuff i took off including the air box and stock exhaust, and tape player, will they take back the truck without the decals and exhaust. i am curiuos to see whats going to be out on the market in 2 years.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bigtruckin,

my truck is not leased. I own it outright.
I am removing parts because I know that the dealer will not give me more for them and with some things may even try to tell me that it will cost them money to make it stock again which means I get less for it.

If yours is leased and you have all the stock parts I would put them all back on before taking it back in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If the cash isn't a big issue I'd trade it in. It's such a pain to sell vehicles (Going to the DMV and stuff). And there isn't a lot of people buying right now since everyones been getting laid off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is kind of what I figured as well.
The dealer was telling me that I could get more for it that way and that right now 4x4s are hard to stock but then he turned around and told me 5 minutes later that his sales are about half of what they had been in the past year or so.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
bill let me know how much you want for the valve covers and the roller rockers if your brother isnt interested in them.
thanks

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So how much are they going to give you if you use it as a trade in? It wouldn't hurt to put it up for sale for about 2 grand more than they would give you. That would also be a chance to sell it quicker, if you found the right person. Put it up for sale here, maybe you'll find a taker.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ian_Wallace,

Once I have a confirmed delievery date on the new truck then I will start posting mine for sale.

They offered to give me about a grand over KBB trade in value which is still between $2500 and $3000 less than retail value.

I figure that I will wait till about two weeks before the new one will be here and then spend $100 on a news paper ad and see what happens.

Bob,
The Volant is spoken for but the headers may still be there.
I also have the Chip if anyone is interested in that. I would have to double check but I believe that it will fit several different years...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts