Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any known flaws in the cj5's. it is a fairly good deal, it runs good and the body is in great shape. it is a '74 with a '84 straight 6.

jake

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I'd seriously consider it. BUt I would buy it to chop it up, throw some full width 60s under it, Atlas II, ARBs, 5.13s, 38" TSL SXs, full family cage....... and the list goes on... problem is if the body is real nice, then I might fell bad denting it... nah!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are you realy asking that question or just trying to make us scratch out heads? Hell ya buy it, those are the ultimate build up's just do like mike said and chech the frame, to bad it doesnt have the original motor in it still. (talk about possible suspension flex, whooha)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yes there are some flaws. Check the steering gear box mount at the frame. Tends to crack there, and usually in the most un-oppertune times, the steering box falls the hell off! If it has a newer motor, you need to ask yourself why? What happened to the old motor?. Was it a V8?
I own a 82'CJ-5, and have too much money in it to start another build-up. If I were to do it again, I'd go with the CJ-7. It has a longer body, that'll accept all the goodies that Jason dreamed about above.
The CJ-5 is a capable wheeler, when done up right, but it is small! Can only hold so much. I know, I've packed mine up now for 20+ yrs of wheeling, and I know where all my gear fits.
As far as running gear, (tranny T/C etc..) the 5 is limited to what can be installed. (unless you plan to Hybred out the thing) Some short automatics, (can't tell ya which one's) may fit, as I've seen 5's with autos instlled. (V6's I think) The rear drive line in my jeep is 13.78" long with a CV! I have the T18 w/granny installed.
If your lookin for a "beater rig" well, you may have just found it.
Later....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts