Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it damage the shock or shorten the life of the shock if i take the boots off?? i have the rancho rsx shocks and rs 5000 steering stabilizer

·
Registered
807 Posts
they should be sealed so if you keep them clean you'll be alright. but unless you have to take them i would just leave them on. any extra protection is always good.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
6 of one, half dozen of the other...

With them, you can keep dust off the seal, and improve it's life.

HOWEVER, if you ever dunk that shock in deep mud/water, or do a higher-speed mud/water crossing, you'll probable get mud up inside the boot, as it has drain holes that also allow it to fill...

Then you get mud trapped up in there.

I'm running without boots on my dual-shock location, and with the shock-boots in the oem shock location.

Haven't noticed a difference one way or the other.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i would say that it cant be too bad seeing as the baja trucks never have boots on their shocks. i only know a few trucks that see that kind of abuse. :):

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I run all 7 (front-4, rear-2, steering stabilizer-1) of my shocks without boots and havent noticed any problems...then again, my shocks are gas charged. Im not sure if there would be a difference between gas and hydraulic shocks??? hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mostly a daily driver with the weekend off roading, but i still never see mud that deep around here, and if i do i end up riding, b/c it has to last me through college....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts