Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to notice that my tranny is starting to shift kinda hard when I put it in reverse first thing in the morning. I was wondering if a shift kit would help cure this problem and if it would help extend the life of my transmission. Also, which kit would you guys recommend? There are plenty of them out there. I think I'll try to install it myself too. Is this a good idea? Thanks.
-Travis

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i have the same problem but mine happens after the truck is warmed up. it didnt do it before the locking differential was put in.
as far as shift kits, go with TRANSGO, ive heard problems with the MOPAR stage 10.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
As far as slamming into reverse, that's sounds more like the differential than the tranny. Dodges have always been known for the "clunk" in reverse.

And shift kits, TransGo isn't bad but I'd have to recommend Superior. They make a great one and it's affordable and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Eh, screw the kits, find you a good tranny guy, and he can do whatever you want to the tranny as far as "shift-kitting" it. That is what I am having done to mine. My tranny guy has been working on them so long, that he can do anything to a transmission to make it better than stock. It is not an easy project to do, by the way, it is VERY involved and requires some drilling of the vavle body...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yep, the beast is correct. Shift kits are for us do it youselfers, a good tranny tech can do it all with some springs, the right drill bits and some wrenches!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I agree, I didn't really think about you doing it yourself. I've been doing them all my life so sometimes I overlook the little things. But that's why I said I wouldn't go with the TransGo. If any of you have installed one you'll know what I mean. I've put quite a few in and they are very involved, not to mention I've had problems with them too. The Superior is easy to install but I've had problems getting them "tweeked". If you don't have any transmission knowledge you would definately be better off to have someone else do the work.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
hey motorhead, where do you find the superior kits and how much do they usually run?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts