Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, latest update on my tranny ordeal. I just took the Bronco back to the tranny shop, for the fifth time, because it wasn't shifting properly and it vibrated badly in reverse. They said that the modulator was out of adjustment, and they also noticed that I upgraded to a set of 35s. They used the angle that the larger tires can and will burn up the transmission, therefore voiding my warranty on the rebuild that I had done in June of last summer. They said the only thing that I can do is have a shift kit installed. They didn't even mention regearing, which I am gonna do in the near future anyhow. But they guys said that the shift kit will compensate for the larger tires and prolong the life of the transmission. How could this prolong the tranny??? I know that they adjust your shift points and make the shifts firmer, but how could it make the bands last longer?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
It could actually put a bad tranny to an early death. more pressure is going through the lines and valves. in the manuals it usually says to make sure your tranny is in good working order first. be careful that these guys wont turn around after they install the shift kit, then say that IT voided your warranty also.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
It increases band life by shortening the overlap between gears during the shift and also creates a faster shift so the bands wear less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts