Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that installing the shift kit and flushing out your trans and running full synthetic fluid makes a big difference in the way that the Dodge transmissions perform.

Has anyone done either or both of these change overs?

I am planning to have them both done to my truck on Tuesday. I hope that I will see an improvement since the entire process is about $400.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
While I don't have direct experience, several guys I know (east coast), have put in shift kits (Transgo) and love the difference. The ATF+ is all synthetic, but those using Redline have reported things run a bit better, but not the kind of difference that you get from doing the shift-kit.

If I don't wedge a NV4500 manual 5-speed into my 1500, I'll go with a Transgo and Redline fluids next time I dig into the tranny.

You may also want to consider the Mag-Hytech (www.mag-hytech.com) tranny pan for the 727-based dodge transmissions. $240 or so, made from aluminum, holds an extra quart or two, has a drain-plug, and a temp guage sending unit port all built in. The bottom of the pan has short cooling fins on it to help dissipate heat.

If I was running hills at Hollister a lot in the summer, or towing, it'd get it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Canyonero2,
Your buddy who was ripping tires in 2nd gear - I have a few questions. What size tire? 4x4 or 4x2? And what other engine mods did he have?
LUV24BY

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Has anyone had the same effect on the 2500 trannys? I haven't driven a 1500, but my tranny stays in gear pretty long and I don't want to lose that. I would like a firmer shift though. It feels like I can chirp my 33's but the tranny doesn't want to.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know about dodge trannies being any different, but I installed a TransGo Shift full manual shift kit into my '96 Z-28's auto tranny. It was easy to install, and made a noticable difference. The tranny shifted alot quicker/harder (but not jerky, just firm!) and it didn't seem to lose as much power in the drivetrain (after installing it with the stock engine it would roast wheels thru first (like before) and carry it thru the shift and 1/2 thru second gear.

I ran Mobil 1 Transmission Fluid (full synthetic) after the install, with no problems. Just make sure you change the filter with a high-quality one while you're in there.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Bill,

So how has the tranny been ever since the shift kit and synthetic fluid was added? I remember we were talking about how your truck shifted too often...what about now? Is it alot better? Let me know...I was looking into the same upgrades...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tunis,

It is a bit better. The shifts are much more positive now. You know when it shifts..
I did have to take my chip out since I think it was trying to do the same thing as the shift kit. I have not tried reinstalling it yet.

I think it was a good investment.

·
Registered
807 Posts
LUV24BY, my buddy had 305's on stock rims, flowmaster exhaust, K&N, and pullies on a 360 engine, and with the shift kit it would spin the tires pretty good when it hit 2nd gear with an automatic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I didn't know anyone made a shift kit for the overdrive trannys in newer dodges. I was reading somewhere that they removed a big spring in the valve body and helped out the trranny with shifting and longevity. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this? it is time to get into my tranny and change the fluid and stuff and I figured while I was in there to do any improvements that I can, such as synthetic oil, etc. Any help, experiences, and suggestions would be appericated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Snowman,
You found a very old post of mine.
Not long after this post I had a kit installed in my trans and switched it to Amsoil.
The kit greatly improved the shifting.
The Amsoil helped as well but I think that it did have one side effect that I wasnt expecting.
Since the Amsoil has been in there I now have the cold weather problem that has TSB related to it. The trans growls while cold and in reverse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts