Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any shift improver kits for the Rams? I have looked through the Summit Racing catalog for hours, and I cant find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, is it worth buying a transmission cooler? Does it actually help with the longevity of the tranny, or are they wastes of money? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trans Go has a shift kit for the Rams,and gets good reviews.Level 10 makes a valve body recalibration kit,it costs a little more than the Trans Go kit.A tranny cooler is one of the best mods you can do,and a very good idea.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
cooler is good. if you ever cant find anything in the summit catalog, call them. 800.230.3030 they dont have the room to put everything in the catalog.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
i believe mopar performance makes one also. definitley get a cooler. for their cost, they are one of the best things you can do.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
don;t some dodge;s already have a tranny cooler? if not then what are those two lines running out of the bottom of the radiator?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You should also run an external cooler in addition to the radiator cooler. The biggest killer of the Dodge transmissions is running too hot. Trust me, I know

·
Registered
160 Posts
I looked into a shift kit for mine. I did a little research and found out that you don't want to install one on a Dodge yourself. I'd recommend taking the kit to a reliable transmission shop to have it installed.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
all automatic cars/trucks come with a cooler built in to the radiator. for additional colling, and external (seperate) cooler should be added. the dodges come with them in the towing package.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
My 2000 Ram comes with a huge trans cooler behind the engine radiator. Trans Go makes a kit for Dodge Trannies. People say that is a good kit and that makes a big difference.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Did the transgo myself. Not as easy as they say it is. My vavle body did not look like the one in the video provided either. I did installed as best I knew how and it worked really well. Shifts are very hard especially if you have your foot in the pedal.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I will probably buy the cooler and the transgo kit this weekend then. How much should I pay for the install? I dont feel like getting ripped off anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
NJBT4.56 Does the shift points of the tranny has a variation?, what I mean is Does the tranny shift at higher RPM?, Someone told me that the TransGo Shift Kit has the problem that is so unconfortable when you drive normally, is this true?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
when you're doing an install with the transgo kit, they should list options for mild, firm, and race shift-points and shift firmness.

I know people with them that just firmed things up, and really like it.

However, if after the kit, it feels like it wants to stay in gear too long, and you really have to back-off to get it to upshift, and it does so VERY harshly, then you probably need to adjust the throttle cable's preload. This is done up at the throttle-body:

http://www.jcj.net/dodgeram/trans_adjustment.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts