Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd throw out that my TJ is under the knife.

Stock YJ springs mounted Spring over
M.O.R.E. Boomerang shackles
CJ Spring Hangers
M.O.R.E. Spring Perches (very nice!)
Toyota 86 Rear axel Housing
96 Land Crusier HP 3rd member with Electric Locker and 4.10's
Disc Brakes
XJ D30 HP and 4.10's to match the rear
Ummm.....think thats about it.
And yes it IS a TJ

·
Registered
896 Posts
Wait, you're putting LEAF SPRINGS under a TJ??? Don't people spend fortunes installing coils in YJ's and CJ's?

What's up with that??

No flames, just wondering.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah lots of people think I'm insane. LOL

I'm gaining alot out of this. If you ask me the TJ is too unstable in the rear when off camber. I may loose a little flex, not much, but I'll gain alot of stability.
Gains:
HP (helps driveline angle)
Selectable locker
Gears
Added wheelbase (moving axel back)
Slightly stronger axel shafts(vs the D44)
YJ stock Spring flex and ride well when done Spring Over
Disc Brakes
Dropout 3rd member
Morelift(HP will come in very handy here)
Housing is more welder friendly than a Dana Axel.
I could go on......
Should be cool.
Cord

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree, I thought the coil spring suspension was the best for the jeep. But then again a sprung over jeep with leafs has alot of flex.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Housing mods completed to accept the HP 3rd. M.O.R.E. Spring perches tacked in.

Stock YJ Springs hung. CJ Hangers. Boomerang Shackles

These were taken on Wednesday. There are a few loose end to tie up tomorrow and then it should be done.
Cord

·
Registered
969 Posts
those new springs look nice, especially the shackles. I'm not familiar with landcruisers, what type of axle is that? I didn't know they used 3rd memebers.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The axel is a 86+ Toyota housing(wider than 85 or lower). The 3rd member is out of a 96 Landcruiser front end (hi-pinion and electronic locker).
Cord

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well good luck to you. That is deffinitly very cool. Talk about dare to be different! I guess that's what the sport is about anyway. Building exactly what YOU want, forget about what the factory gave you.

Can't wait to see the completed pics.

I do know that leaves have thier advantages, in fact, I wish the rear of my Grand was leaf sprung, like a Cherokee is. Control arm angles and track bars are a pain in the neck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All Done! Kinda

PICS: http://community.webshots.com/album/35529781uxAEBH

To Do List:
Install 2" Longer driveline
Make rear shock hoop
Mount rear shocks
Wire or Cable actuate the locker
Flex test
Make bumpstops
Get and Install 4.5" Front Coils

Overall it went well and I'm thrilled. Ride is better than coils so far. Shocks will help. WAAAYYY too soft now!
Cheers,
Cord

·
Registered
896 Posts
That's awesome. I like how clean the rear axle is, no LCA or shock mounts hanging down ready to get caught on something.

Also like how the SOA allows for the perfectly flat springs. Those should have great flex.

I was gonna ask why not just start with a YJ, but I see you're going to keep the front coils.

I can't wait to see the flex pics.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Is the "Pozer Shots" gallery done before or after the conversion? That's some nice flex. Hell, what is that truck [the welder's I assume?] with the cage? I'm far from mechanical ability, but it looks like that turned out like one heck of a clean job. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Pretty Kool! So, what do we call this vehicle now? Jeepota, toyjep? I hear your not gonna make it to Mud-N-Yer-Eye? "Wad-up-wid-dat?"
What about Chris? He gonna make it?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks.

Yeah we are out for Mud N' Yer Eye. Had to remind me huh. I was gonna drive my rig. Chris will only tow that far. He couldn't borrow a truck and trailer, and isn't quite redy to buy one.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Just starting to check on things.

More pics at:

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://community.webshots.com/album/37366768smObuT" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Here is my friends jeep on 39.5 swampers. Very similar to yours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts