Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have gotten alot of great talk about saving trannies here!ive learned few things! 1. stay out of overdrive
2. Install temp gauge
3. keep fluid changed more regularly.
4. get correct gearing or truespeed sensor
5. get tranny cooler

ok anything i forgot??i have tranny cooler stock..is it big enough think it works well enough??im thinking with stcok tranny cooler and 4:10 gears and staying out of overdrive
and changing fluid often i can skip the tranny gauge!and i also may need truespeed one other question what tranny oil do you use?? whats best for keeping it cool!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've learned a lot too!

For the last week or two I've been staying OD out until I'm merging onto I-5. My truck with 33's and 4.10's still runs 1500rpm at 35mph so there is no reason to run OD engaged anyway around town.
Besides... now I get to listen to my new Ultraflow burble when the tranny holds me back on the downhills. :):
I tow a 17' Komfort Lite several times a year. It holds well in OD on flat ground and running 65mph, but I've always disengaged OD on the long grades and the mountain passes.
36,000 miles and zero tranny prob's or even service so far (knock on wood) but I just checked my fluid and it's pretty dark.
I think I'll take it in for a service soon, and while its there have them install a pan with a magnetic drain plug. I might even have them drill, tap, and plug it so I can add a temp guage in the near future.
I wanna thank you guys for all the info, PS is an awesome site!!!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
the only thing about not running in OD is the converter wont lock up unless OD is on. which normally happens around 45-50 mph. my tranny wont shift into OD till about "45mph" anyway. the thing that heats the tranny up is when it shifts. it has to slip to shift. the band pulls down on the planetary for it to go into the next gear. putting in a shift kit could also save the tranny, being it shifts into gears quicker. another thing would be to run a remote oil filter inline between the radiator and the tranny cooler. i bought the biggest B&M made and with that and the remote filter with a PH8 size filter it add almost 3 qts.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
the torque converter will lock up in 3rd gear with OD turned off. It locks in the last gear available (3rd with OD off or 4th with OD on)

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-07 18:13, JasonB wrote:
the torque converter will lock up in 3rd gear with OD turned off. It locks in the last gear available (3rd with OD off or 4th with OD on)

well you must know something that 2 dodge techs i talked to dont then cause that aint what they told me.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Can you really trust Dodge techs? Just try driving it. You can watch your tach and even feel the TC lockup up in both situations.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't trust the techs, but I trust my FSM, which goes on for several pages about which bands are enagaged at what times and in what gears, whether or not the TC is locked, etc.

2000 FSM, page 21-323

"Converter clutch engagement in third or fourth gear range is controlled by sensor inputs to the powertrain control module."

page 21-358 has full details on what clutches/bands are engaged for each gear and selected gear via the gear-shift selector.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So all agreed, it locks in 3rd also. As for the type of fluid make sure that what ever you use says type 7176 somewhere on the bottle. If you use dextron 3 it will foam up inside the trans. I learned this on my '96 Ram.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-03-07 19:32, Tweaked wrote:
So all agreed, it locks in 3rd also.

Only when OD is turned off though, that is the key. If you are in 3rd and OD is on (like climbing a hill) then the TC is NOT locked and you build a lot of heat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
dont really know much about tranies, but wouldent a shift kit put more stres on the driveline with the rougher shifts.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
good question... i am not an expert, but from what i have seen with my shift kit it has not. mine is set up for ,towing or firm shift. it is not set on drag, or hard. if you set it to hard, it will snatch your teeth out, and probably some other things too. the shift kit shifts firmly and quickly. as when before it would "lope", or "hunt" for the gear. it is definitly noticable, but it is comfortable. i would do it again, if i was forced to hhave another auto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts