Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had already talked to Alphacowboy today about this but i still wanted to see what yall though/had heard. I was thinking i would have a much better truck for offroading, lifting, ect. if i got a Ram 2500 4x4 instead of the 1500. Even if it cost more to buy i would make up for the cost of the vehichle in savings on the mods(im only really worried about the costs of the mods...my dad is buying the truck for me...probably in the mid 1990's). See what yall think.
First, to run 35" tires i would need to regear a 1500 cuz you cant get low enough gears to run 35's in a 1500 without tranny failure. I could get stock 4.10 gears in the 2500 and that would be low enough to run the 35's. Great, huh? Second, the beefier axles of the 2500 would hold up better with the added stress of 35" tires. Great, huh? Finally, according to Alphacowboy, all 2500's come with stock 8" wide wheels so i wouldnt have to buy wider wheels to run 12.5" tires (35/12.5) whereas on the 1500 it would have to buy wider wheels to run that tire. Wonderful!
So, the way i see it is, instead of the at least $1000 for the lift(5"), atleast $1000 for the gears swap, and another at least $1000 for the wheels/tires(in that case i would get 35/12.5r15 and 15/8 or 15/10) for the 1500, i would only have to pay about $1000 for the lift(4.5") and about $600-$700 on the 35/12.5 tires (actually 315/75r16 in that case) to achieve about the same thing on the 2500 since i would already have low enough gears and wide enough wheels saveing almost half the cost of mods. Plus i would still have the beefier axles.
The availible diesel and V10 gas engines wouldnt really make any difference to me in deciding between 1500 and 2500 because i will probably go with gas V8 in either but it seems i have listed enough here to put the 2500 well above the 1500.
Tell me what yall think about all of this.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Well the wheel width depends on what year you are getting. The standard wheel size is 16x7" on 97 and earlier (1500s or 2500s). It was either 98 or 99 that they changed to 16x8" wheels.

Other than that, there are times when I wished I had a 2500. Think about the V10. Most folks seems to be getting gas mileage only a little higher with the 5.9L V8

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The diesel and V10 upgrade are close in price if your not gonna get the V8 get the diesel, the V10 is nice but the 24 valve diesel is REEEAAALLLLL NICE. The 2500 has other benifits, if you get the HD version, you get a transmission cooler, power steering pump cooler, alternator upgrade, and dont forget the HP gains from the pretty amber lights on the roof.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i wouldnt say theyre close in price, new the deisel is about a $5000 option, the V10 is about $600. thats not exact but its a close estimate. the deisel is better but for the money i'd go with the 10.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My bad, when I was looking at new ones in 99 I thought the diesel upgrade was 4200 or so nad the V10 in the 3K range, guess I was wrong, not the first time ive been wrong.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Also on a used truck, the V8 and V10 are going to be considerably cheaper than the Diesel, especially as the mileage adds up. Considering that the diesel is built to go several times father without a rebuild...

Ok, according to KBB, diesels are about 3K more expensive, using a nicely equiped 97, comparing the V8 with auto to the cummins with manual.

$17.5K vs $20.5K.

Of course, edmunds came up with about 13K for the V8... No option to pick the diesel there.

Odd.

Those are dealer-retail prices.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My next truck will definetly be a 2500 diesel Dodge. (not the 2002 model yr! yuk) If one is gonna tow something (anything) the diesel can't be beat! (in my opinion) And after taking a ride in one here recently, I may have one sooner than later!

Troy

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks for all of that, but the added engine options is not really an issue to me because i will get the gas V8 either way. I am a kid and i cant afford the added maintenance costs of the diesel plus i dont think my dad would want to pay that much for my first truck. As far as the V10 gas, it would guzzle more gas than the V8 and after all i really dont need that much power (i dont want to be tempted to go fast and end up wrecking it!).

That said, i was mainly asking about the mods. Jason, my truck would probably be older than '99 so are you saying that even if it was a 2500 it would only have 7" wide wheels? Are you sure about this? Alphacowboy seemed to think that all the 2500's had the 8" wheels standard so i could run the 315/75r16 tires (35/12.5) on the stock wheels which i couldnt do if the wheels were only 7" wide. Not having to buy new wheels would be a definate money saving plus considering my situation!

Either way, i still like the idea of being able to get the stock 4.10 gears in the 2500 which would not be an option in a 1500. This would save me at least $1000 on a gear swap which would be necisary to run 35's.
The one other reason why i liked the 2500 over the 1500 is simply the more heavy duty axles. I think the dana 60 front/dana70 rear would hold up way better with the added stress of the 35" tires than the dana 44 front/9 1/4" rear. Plus, i would have a way better chance of getting my dad to let me get 35's from the start if i have the beefier axles and lower gears stock so it would hold up better.

Even if i would still have to buy wheels, the at least $1000 saved on gearswap and having the stronger axles alone is enough to sway me heavily toward the 2500.
Now, i know that the 4.10's is a stock option but not all 2500's will have it. Would yall figure that most probaly do or not? How would i know if the truck has the 4.10's before i try to buy it( yes, some people dont know what gears thier truck has in it)? Will this option be hard to find on a used truck?

If any of yall have any more comments or input about any of this or answers to any of those questions (aside from comments about the additional engine options in the 2500's, i'm getting the gas V8 either way!) i would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 96 2500 hence my name. I have the 7" rims and you would have to find one with the factory towing package to get the 4:10s. The cool thing is though you can run 305s(33") without any lift and I was told, don't know if it is right, but with the 2" leveling spacers you can go with 315s(35") with only minor rubbing. I have the spacers, but not installed yet, but would like to know for sure if 35"s would fit.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I am pretty sure they are 7' wheels and what axles you get depend on your motor/tranny combo.

A 2500 with a V8 will have 60s front and rear. The 70 and 80 rears are not options until you go to V10 or Cummins, even in the 2500HD version. That is another thing, if youare looking at 94-95, be sure that it is the HD version, not the low production LD version (44 front, 9.25" rear)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, The dana 60 front/rear is all i can get with the V8? Well i think that is still better than dana 44 front/9 1/4" rear. Still fine by me.

Also, it will probably have only 7" wide wheels? Fine. I can still go ahead and get new wheels and tires like i had originally planed instead of just new tires since the year model trucks i will be lookin at wont have wide enough stock wheels. Still fine by me.

Now, the only ones that have the 4.10's are the ones with towing package? Ok, how hard will this be to find in a used truck and how will i know? I would really like to get a truck with stock 4.10's because i want to have low enough gears to run 35's but i want them stocck, i dont want to have to pay at least $1000 for a gear swap!

If someone could tell me if this is a pretty common option or not that would be great. Will 4.10's be pretty easy to find in a used ram 2500 4x4 in the mid 1990's years models is basically what im gettin at. If anyone has shoped for one before or just happens to know, then i would really appreciate if you let me know!

Also, how will i know if the truck has the stock 4.10's option? The person im buying it from would probably know(or at least you would hope so!) but i wouldnt want to just assume or get higher gears than i think im getting. Does it say somewhere on the truck that i can look at while im checkin the truck out?

Now, there are other things that i would like to make sure of. Jason, you say that the 1994-1995 model 2500's are both light duty with the same axles as the 1500's and heavy duty, which would be what im lookin for. How can i tell this? How will i know if the person who is selling it doesnt(they probably wil but you never know)?

Well, anyway, if any of you have comments or answers to any of those last questions i would apprecaite it. I may be dreaming to think i can find exactly what i want in a used truck. I want... a mid 1990's('94 or newer body style) Ram 2500 4x4 HD(dana 60 front/rear), towing package(stock 4.10's), gas V8, auto in good shape and reasonably priced and close enough to my home that i could get it! LOL, what are the odds! My truck may not even exist(at least not in my area) and if it does there may not be one for sale with a reasonable price tag. Oh well....i got plenty of time to look. I dont need it immeadiately.

Well, again, if anyone can help me out with answers to any of these questions or any other input i would be very ggreatful. I really appreciate all the help ive gotten from yall so far. I learn thigs every day from yall!

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-02-26 17:44, joe wrote:
Ok, The dana 60 front/rear is all i can get with the V8? Well i think that is still better than dana 44 front/9 1/4" rear. Still fine by me.

Just making sure you know what the setup was.

Also, it will probably have only 7" wide wheels? Fine. I can still go ahead and get new wheels and tires like i had originally planed instead of just new tires since the year model trucks i will be lookin at wont have wide enough stock wheels. Still fine by me.

You can get 16x8 steel wheels for pretty cheap. Shouldn't break any budget. The most common tire/wheel size for 8-lug swaps is the 16.5x9.75" wheels with 35x12.50r16.5 tires. No inner safety bead though so depending on uses, you might want to stick with 16x8.

Now, the only ones that have the 4.10's are the ones with towing package? Ok, how hard will this be to find in a used truck and how will i know? I would really like to get a truck with stock 4.10's because i want to have low enough gears to run 35's but i want them stocck, i dont want to have to pay at least $1000 for a gear swap!

I would assume most 2500HDs are bought for heavy use/towing so they may be more prevelant than you think. Also, towing package is not a requirement as far as I know for the 4.10s as they are a standard upgrade/option.

If someone could tell me if this is a pretty common option or not that would be great. Will 4.10's be pretty easy to find in a used ram 2500 4x4 in the mid 1990's years models is basically what im gettin at. If anyone has shoped for one before or just happens to know, then i would really appreciate if you let me know!

You keep mentioning mid 1990s trucks. Are you talking new body style (94+) or the old style (pre-94) or either one. There are big differences between options and setups between the 2 different generations

Also, how will i know if the truck has the stock 4.10's option? The person im buying it from would probably know(or at least you would hope so!) but i wouldnt want to just assume or get higher gears than i think im getting. Does it say somewhere on the truck that i can look at while im checkin the truck out?

Build sticker (bottom side of hood behind the grill, or on the tag attached to the diff cover). Of course this is all assuming they are correct and are still on the truck. To check for sure, you can pull teh civer and count teeth or raise a wheel and spin the tire and compare its revolutions to the driveshaft revolutions.

You should also be able to contact the dealer with the VIN and request factory installed options.

Now, there are other things that i would like to make sure of. Jason, you say that the 1994-1995 model 2500's are both light duty with the same axles as the 1500's and heavy duty, which would be what im lookin for. How can i tell this? How will i know if the person who is selling it doesnt(they probably wil but you never know)?

Just check the axles. Become familiar with what they look like. There should also be ID numbers stamped on the diff and/or axle tube. Don't ask me, I do not know what they are)

Well, anyway, if any of you have comments or answers to any of those last questions i would apprecaite it. I may be dreaming to think i can find exactly what i want in a used truck. I want... a mid 1990's('94 or newer body style) Ram 2500 4x4 HD(dana 60 front/rear), towing package(stock 4.10's), gas V8, auto in good shape and reasonably priced and close enough to my home that i could get it! LOL, what are the odds! My truck may not even exist(at least not in my area) and if it does there may not be one for sale with a reasonable price tag. Oh well....i got plenty of time to look. I dont need it immeadiately.

Well, again, if anyone can help me out with answers to any of these questions or any other input i would be very ggreatful. I really appreciate all the help ive gotten from yall so far. I learn thigs every day from yall!

Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
OK my truck is a 97 2500HD has frt and rear 60s w/3.55 gears, snowplow pack, towing pack, HD cooling, 241 transfer case, 136 amp alt, 16x6.5 steel wheels, 8800 gvw. I just found out the gearing today, woulda thought it would have 4.10s but their not. I guess if you're ordering it new you can order what you want. If you look at a use 1 get the VIN # and go to a dodge dealer and they can print you out a list of all the options that came on that truck from the factory.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Mine is a 1998 2500 v8 with dual dana 60's cane with 3.55 gears and towing package. It had the 16x6.5" steel chrome wheels.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
first of all let me defend my engine. i think the V10 is a great middle ground between the v8 and the diesel. its got teh torque of the diesel, but not the noise. i seem to get better gas milage than v8's.

now, i have dana 60/70 setup, with 4.0/4.10 gears. yes they are different. i have the 2" daystar spacers with 33's right now, but i would bet that i could fit 35's no problem.

i got this truck for the same reasons. heavy duty, and as most of you know, im not easy on my truck. but like the beast has said, if it breaks it needed upgrading anyways.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hawaiiluver talked about his V10 and dana 60Front and 70Rear and some of the other guys talked about their 2500's with 60's front and rear, what we are talking about here is the difference between the 2500 and the 2500HD, I believe most all the V10's and Disels along with some V8's will have the HD package with the 4.10's and tranny and power steering coolers, and hitch with overload springs and rear brake controller(hidden above rear axle). The regular 2500 will have the 60's front and rear and may not have the other stuff, but still a great platform to start on, also some of the later 1999+ model V10's and diesel's there was a rear dana 80 available.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Biginuf my truck has everything you stated from overloads to rear brake controller but it has a dana 60 in the rear. Dana 70's from what I heard only come on v10 and diesel and yes for the 3500 you get the Dana 80. Do you have a Dana 70?? Mine is an HD.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
then regular 2500 came with the dana 44 fronts/60 rears. thats what the specs say on dodgeram.org

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW!!

Thanks for all the help guys. That pretty much covers all the bases.

Jason, it would be the '94 or newer body style but still in the mid 1990's, probably no newer than about 1996 or so (its a first truck...it doesnt need to be that new).

Well thanks again.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey Foolish, I have a 5.9 360 and a dana 70R, I think it may have been special ordered, few(2500's) that I have seen have the gas V8 and a 70 rear. -Marc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts