Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using the 3 inch lift and trying to fit 315's or 35's what seems to be the problem....does it rub because the tire is too wide or too tall??????

Brett

·
Registered
340 Posts
What is your backspacing on your rims? My rims have a backspacing of 4.5" so they stick out there (probably close to 3" out of the fender). I had 35's on my truck when I first lifted it with the same back spacing and they would only rub when I would have my wheel turned all the way.. I was able to resolve some of it.. I trimmed the outer corners of the wheel weld so that the tire would not rub... How this helps... DDGETHS

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
When I had the 3" lift and 315s on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backsapcing, it was the corner of the tires that rubbed the control arms slightly. Since it was the corner, it could be either too tall or too wide.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
On my 2000, with Jason's old wheels (I bought them off him), I didn't get rubbing with the BigOs, but do with my Goodyear MTRs.

I rub on the rear of the fender liner, up a few inches from the sheetmetal. Sounds nasty, and I'm starting to rub a hole in the liner, but only when I turn the front wheels and stuff a tire.

I'm also carrying a few hundred extra pounds of weight up front, so that has an effect. With stiffer springs it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Again, as it's the edge of the tire, when turning, either taller or wider will make it worse, and shorter or narrower will make it better.

So depending on your wheeling type, go the direction that works best for you, or live with it, it's not bad at all. Just sounds nasty on occaison when it happens.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Woody, are your wheels 16x8 or 16x10? I saw a ram today with 35's on what looked like 16x10's but they weren't the usual deep dish style?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts