Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if anyone is running the 9k's with the SkyJacker 5" package from 4WP. I had the lift put on and now the blue beast rides like a log wagon from hell. The 101 is about to send me in for new fillings. I ran the 9k's on my Toyota and they worked great. I need to know if they will solve my problem, or is it simply that the springs are just too stiff. I have the "softride" crap that came with the package and they just are not doing the job. I want to run the 9k's with the remote unit in the cab. If its the springs, I'll just have to live with it and save the 300 bucks in new shocks. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
its prolly just the new springs breakin in.
id give it a little while for everything to settle in.
I dont think the rancho 9000's wouldn't hurt
but the shocks that came with the kit should be good for a while.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have a Skyjacker 5" Stage II Kit on my Dodge Ram with the Skyjacker Nitro's all around and my truck rides pretty stiff. I'm just wondering if it's because of the dual shocks up front??? Do you have a stage I or II???

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab SLT 4X4 SB, 5.2L V8, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 Good~Year MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Racing Sidewinder Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running the stage 1 kit so I don't have the dual shocks on the bow. Trust me, the one that is in each corner is more than enough. I'm not running my sway bar either and the truck is so stiff that it doesn't lean an inch even on the on/off ramps for the freeway. I bet that if you drop one of those dual shocks on both sides it will still ride really rough.
I know the springs need some break in time, but DAMN! At 70MPH on south bound 101 right by the airport the freeway is really wavey because of the cement. When I get on at Great America Parkway and drive south it will buck a soda out of the cup holder. Its that rough. Its so uncomfortable that I find myself avoiding driving it.
The kit was just an add-a-leaf in the rear and the new springs in the front. I have a hard time beleiving that the springs alone are that stiff. (At least I hope thats not the case!) When I ran the 9k's on my Yota they were AWSOME! Best mod I had done. I ran the remote kit in the cab. When I was on a long haul on the freeway I'd drop them to 1 and it would ride like a nice midsize passanger car....smooth. When I was in town I'd bump them back up to about 3-4 and that would ride a bit stiffer, but it also made the truck drive tight like a gocart. I didn't even need to run my sway bar anymore. If I can get the Blue Beast to perform the same way it would be great.
Thanks for the input guys!
On a side note: I'm on vacation right now in Va. There is not a spec of snow anywhere and on christmas I wore a t-shirt and shorts....strange! Same time last year it was 2 feet of the white stuff and 9 degrees. This sure has been a crazy winter out here. You can be sure that the eco-nazis will tell the world that its because of us 4wheelers and our evil sport causing global warming. They are doing a great job in the PR department and scaring little ole ladies into handing over a hundred bucks a month that they in turn use to grease the palms of the politicians. Look how many trails we have seen close so far. If your not already active in a group that fights the eco-nazis, I would suggest that you find one and donate.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've got 9000's on my 96' 2500 and it rides really good, but I have the Cummings diesel so it may ride a little different. I have the 9000's on my 84' Ram too and I love them, I would not give them up for anything else. They are great for me because I tow trailers and load lots of hay, I can turn the 9000's up or down. I'd invest in them if you can afford them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On 2001-12-26 18:07, DieselHrs wrote:
I've got 9000's on my 96' 2500 and it rides really good, but I have the Cummings diesel so it may ride a little different. I have the 9000's on my 84' Ram too and I love them, I would not give them up for anything else. They are great for me because I tow trailers and load lots of hay, I can turn the 9000's up or down. I'd invest in them if you can afford them.

I've got the Skyjacker 5" Stage II too and would like to change to Rancho 9 K's because I think the Skyjacker Nitro Shocks are way too stiff. Does anybody know about Part # for the 9K's (front and rear) for the 5" Lift?
Hans

·
Registered
295 Posts
On 2001-12-27 18:02, Dodgeraminhamburg wrote:
I've got the Skyjacker 5" Stage II too and would like to change to Rancho 9 K's because I think the Skyjacker Nitro Shocks are way too stiff. Does anybody know about Part # for the 9K's (front and rear) for the 5" Lift?
Hans

Sorry can't help you there. Try your local 4x4 shop, they should be able to tell you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts