Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm relatively new to the world of off road, but I want to start out right. So hopefully some of you old pros out there can offer some advice. I currently own a 2000 Dodge Ram standard cab short bed. Because I bought it used I'm not sure of the package it has. I know that there is a lift of about 3 inches and some skid plates, could that be factory? The 5.9 is almost completely stock save a K&N. I've added some westin nerf bars, a sport masters tonneau, and a rhino liner. I'm looking to install a new exhaust, suspension (4 inches or more), trans temp gauge, and body lift. Unfortunately, I know what I want, but not what brands and products are the best for a truck that's still a daily driver. Otherwise I'm still searching for the right mods. What would you suggest to boost power under the hood without sacrificing too much mpg? Like many other Dodge owners I've heard countless horror stories about tranny problems so what can I do/add to help keep my tranny healthy? As for the exhaust, I want something that will help out my power first and foremost, but I wouldnt' mind a nice deep roar :wink: I know this is alot to swallow, but I'm really excited about working on my first ride, and I want to make sure I do it right. So I guess I'm just asking what has and what hasn't worked for you Dodge owners out there. Thanks again for ANY help you can offer I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

PS If you have ANY other suggestions about parts, tech, maintenence etc. feel free to let me in OR if you know legal/fun trails to ride in the Chicago/west central IL area my ears are open.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PPS The Trans is stock auto. That's bout all I know, is there a way for me to find out other specs on my truck? Thanks again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome to the best 4x4 site on the planet!:)

First off... There should be a sticker under the hood that gives you most of the factory info.
Also you can check your rear differential for a tag with gear ratio.
For a fairly stock engine I would have to say in MHO a single 3" Dynomax "ultra flo" exhaust out the factory exit is as good as it gets. (the ultraflo flows a lot better than Gibson or any of the "turbo" mufflers)

The "single in dual out" mufflers drop a couple horsepower due to design, 1 3" pipe flows better than dual 2 1/2" pipes anyway.
If cost is no object???
You could go to headers, dual hi-flow cat's, a crossover pipe and dual Dynomax ultraflo's and exit behind the back tires.

I don't have an aftermarket lift on my truck but from what I've seen here I'd say 5" suspension would be a good step so you could clear 35 or maybe 36" tires.

The popular theory (and the way I am now running) is to run OD off on your automatic unless you are at highway speed. Also keep OD off if you are towing, especially up any kind of grade.

I'll leave the rest to the other guys. :):

Again welcome and enjoy the flood of info I bet you will be getting!

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it has a three inch lift that's not from the factory. Are you saying it has a three inch lift from the size of the block under the rear springs? Does your truck have tow hooks on the front or does it say OFF-ROAD under the 4x4 sticker on the tailgate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
dont forget to check your local laws about maximum hight limit.im in the process of doing the same.i dont want the law giving me problems,and i live in 2 states ta boot...lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it has a three inch lift that's not from the factory. Are you saying it has a three inch lift from the size of the block under the rear springs? Does your truck have tow hooks on the front or does it say OFF-ROAD under the 4x4 sticker on the tailgate.

I am thinking of the block under the rear springs, and I dont have tow hooks, or the off road sticker, the only info I've seen is the SLT Laramie plate on the cab. Thanks again everyone great info!!!! :):

·
Registered
140 Posts
All Dodge 4x4's have the block in the rear from the factory. That's the reason I asked,I thought you may be thinking that was an added lift or something.The Off-Road package was the only extra lift you could get from the factory- but your truck would have tow hooks.Is there any type of spacer on top off your front springs? What size tires are on your truck now?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Are any of the suspension pieces colored like red or blue or are there any different colored bushings under there? That would be a good clue to the manufacturer of the susp. lift. Or is it a 3" body lift, a body lift would have the round blocks between the frame and body.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are your skid plates just two small red ones under your control arms? If so it's a good chance it's a Rancho lift.Because my Rancho 3" lift came with them.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So does the skyjacker 5.5.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The 3" class II lifts from Skyjacker also come with the lower control arm skids. Sounds to me like he doesn't have a lift, just stock. Go with a 5" Skyjacker to start, and the the 3" Performance Accessories Body lift. Stay away from Trailblaster, err, Trailmaster. Check out the pics on my website to see what it would look like with these two lifts together. Mine si the Black Ram. Link is at the bottom of my signature line.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Bluchitwnram, Have you checked out the pictures of all the Ram's posted in the "rides" section? If you go there and read the profiles, you can get a idea of what everyone that posts here (menbers) are running. Alot of posts have been broght up as to what different items/accessories look like installed. Most of them are pictured in one way or another.
There are lots of "readers rides" now, but you can limit the shots to just Dodges, using the " show model" ( I think)
For instance in my pictures, you can see what a dual guage pillar mount looks like.
Anyhow, welcome to a great site!
Troy

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you want your tranny to last I have got two words for you. TRANNY COOLER... its the best way to keep your tranny running right. shift kits and the od trick might give minimal help, but a nice heavy duty tranny cooler is the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On 2002-03-26 19:21, The Beast wrote:
The 3" class II lifts from Skyjacker also come with the lower control arm skids. Sounds to me like he doesn't have a lift, just stock. Go with a 5" Skyjacker to start, and the the 3" Performance Accessories Body lift. Stay away from Trailblaster, err, Trailmaster. Check out the pics on my website to see what it would look like with these two lifts together. Mine si the Black Ram. Link is at the bottom of my signature line.
I was thinking the same thing that his truck is just stock height,that's why I questioned him about why he thinks he has a three inch lift,because someone I know told me he was buying a lifted Ram and after I saw it I told him there was no lift on the truck. He said yes there is look under the back and showed me the stock blocks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for all the help guys!!! What can I say y'all rock! Upon Closer inspection, you guys are right, it's the 4x4 package that I was looking at. For that matter, everything looks stock, there aren't any foreign colors or newer looking parts, I'm fairly sure it's all stock. Right now I've got no complaints about my rims and tires, but I will some day up grade. I'm riding on Goodyear 285 Wrangler ATS I believe (haven't gone outside to check) and the stock 16x7 polished rims.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts