Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What backspacing and offset would be the best on a 16x8 rim to stop my 285s from rubbing on the control arms at full steering lock? I'm buying new tires in the next couple of weeks and I would by new rims if I thought they would eliminate the minor rubbing with the stock 16x7 alloys. Would daystars fix this problem if I kept the stock rims?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
the daystars would only fix a problem with rubbing the fenders. the control arms will not be moved away by the spacers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have 285-75-16 and mine dont rub at all thats really odd. i dont know what to say i even have off brand tires too. dont know what to tell ya on back spaceing not my area of expertize. is you have adjustable steering stops you could just adjust thoughs.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-02-27 05:15, Fjthis wrote:
i have 285-75-16 and mine dont rub at all thats really odd. i dont know what to say i even have off brand tires too. dont know what to tell ya on back spaceing not my area of expertize. is you have adjustable steering stops you could just adjust thoughs.

Your 2000 already has 16x8 wheels from the factory.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 96 ext cab sport with 285s and i have the same problem. my friend has an slt with no problem. i think it is because of the sport sits a little lower then the slt. just my thoughts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Rattlesnake has 285/75 BFG M/T's on his stock 16x7 rims on a 1999 Ram Sport and they do not rub at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 16x8's on my 2001 quad SLT 4x4 and they don't rub. The rims are Panther 130's. The set up seems perfect for my otherwise stock truck. I don't remember what the backspacing and all of that is, but the set up seems ok.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think it varies from truck to truck. Same rims/tires that rubbed on Jason's truck didn't rub on mine. Could be related to the amount of lift and the angle of the track-bar, as that will shift the axle to the driver's side the more you lift the truck.

The Sports don't sit lower in the front than the SLTs, but the bumper extends down another 3-4" or so. Shouldn't affect the control-arms at all.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tirerack has a wheel called the TRS made by ASA (BBS) with the stock backspacing but it is 16x8. Does anyone know anything about these rims? I'm assuming that the extra inch of width is towards the outside of the wheel if the backspacing is going to remain the same. My 285s bulge out pretty good on the 16x7 wheels and the widest part of the sidewall is what rubs on the control arm. Would the 16x8 rim flatten the sidewall enough to eliminate the rubbing? I am not interested in the super wide look with the tires sticking out from the wheel wells several inches. I was unaware that 2000 1500s had 16x8 rims. Maybe I can find a set of takeoffs locally.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2001 came with 245/75R16's mounted on 16X7.0 Cast Aluminum rims. When I asked the dealer why such small tires, he said they figured we would all change -out the tires anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts