Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the wiring pack to the tail-lights what color wires are for the reverse lights, my reverse lights dont come on when I back up, is there a sensor somewhere on the tranny that isnt making contact or has gone bad... When the dumbass's put my camper shell on, they took the bulb out of the cargo light(the one over the rear window), would that have done it or maybe when they spliced power for the new brake light on top of the shell? Inspection is due this month and I need to get these working.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I know that the neutral/reverse switch can go bad on the tranny.

On my 97, I tapped into the purple wire in the wiring harness to trigger the relay to my PIAA backups. I found the color by checking the back of the fuse box for the reverse circuit and seeing what color it was.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just did this last week. The backup wire is purple with a black stripe. check the harrness above the spare tire thats where I found my short. the wires came out of the harrness and wore thru on the frame. As for the switch on the trans its on the drivers side just above the middle of the trans pan. It has a 3 wire conector going to it. Make sure you have a catch pan if you replace it cause you'll lose about a quart of fluid, if you swap them quick. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any way to test the plug on the trans??? or how about the purple wire in the back, what is the easiest way to test it? I swapped the brake light bulb which I know is good with the reverse lift, the new bulb doesnt light up so i know im not getting power back there, where else could my problem be??

·
Registered
213 Posts
dumb question? did you check the fuse? if the fuse is good put the key in the on postion and the truck in reverse and use a test light on the purple wire at the switch if you still have no power in the test light check the other wire on the switch. i think its green and orange. i'd go check the colors but the truck is parked in the mud.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, fuse is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts