Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started on the 4x4/braking issues topic, but I thought I'd migrate it over here to keep it separate.

I just (yesterday) ordered a replacement track-bar from Linstad Alignment in South Dakota. My track-bar had been worn for some time (1-2000 miles or so), and was becoming a hazard. I was looking at both a bar from DT that includes a relocation/strengthing bracket for the frame, and the Linstad rebuilt stock units).

Linstad:

Pros:
- adjustable ball-joint so that as it wears, it can be tightened
- cheap ($195 +freight -$50 for returned stock bar)

Cons:
- Same strength bar
- Ball-joint still wears, but to a lesser degree. Should be tightened every 6 mo.s if you abuse it regularly, like I do).

DT:
Pros:
- STRONG
- Heim joints at both ends (better flex and stronger)
- adjustable length bar (recenter axle on lifted trucks
- relocated frame bracket strengthens the frame mount
- light (aluminum bar)
- Longer bar available for lifts over 3.5"

Cons:
- Expensive ($330 shipped from AZ to CA)
- may need drop pitman to put drag-link and track-bar into parallel (reduce bumpsteer)

Stock/OEM unit:

Pros:
- Plastic ball-joint cup and rubbet axle-end bushing may give softer ride(??)
- ....... dunno.

Cons:
- plastic cup for ball-joint wears out quickly with harsh use
- expensive ($280)
- wears out quickly (20k-60k miles depending on use. Even pavement pounders will replace it sometime over 100k.

Contact info:

http://www.blackhills.com/lindstad/

DT: 1-888-776-2403

stock: You're nearest stealer, I mean dealer.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I installesd the DT track bar and am very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm gettin tired comming up as anonymous!!
Well Gents, Looks like I'm in the need for a new track bar my self now. I got the tell-tale shimmy about 2 weeks ago for the first time. Pawned it off to the road surface. Then again twice last Thursday at 50mph crusin over HWY17 to work. A simple step on the brake stopped the shimmy & shake.
Today I had a friend look at it while I turned my wheels and sure enough, the trackbar moves up and down. The shimmy is not terrible just yet. I'm stinking about holding off replacing it until I make a decision on what lift I'm gonna do. I'll keep ya all informed...
Troy

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Troy,

Another option that I just came across, Arabia's Automotive in Los Gatos. They do custom build stuff there, mostly jeeps, but they have no objection to Rams.

Jeff Arabia is aware of the quickly trashed Ram track-bars, and might be able to make something better than stock, with the advantage of dealing with a local shop instead.

577 University, next to the BigO tire-shop in downtown Los Gatos.

I'll be swinging by there later this week, on the day I do my trackbar swap, but to talk about tie-rods and drag-links instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts