Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinkin about changeing my dana 44 out with a dana 60 in the front and my 9.25 in the rear with the dana 90. now my question is can i do this? i am going to try and find a wreched 2500-2000ish dodge and rape the parts. are they direct bolt in or not? just thinkin about it wondering if anyone has reseach this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah you can do it, only thing is finding a Dana 90 will be heard... Dana 80's were offered in the 1 tons I believe (Jason, back me up with the correct info :): not sure if I got that right).

If you have ABS you'll have to get (for ease of install) a modern axle for both front and rear, but if you do not have ABS you could probably just gank a 60 and 80 combo off an older 1 ton from a boneyard or somethin.

-Chris

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
80's were available with the disel in the 3/4 tons and in all the 1 tons, ive not heard of a dana 90 in the rams, I thought the 80 had the same ring and pinion as the 70 but the outside of the pumpkin has more metal for support. A 70 should be more than adequate for your application.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
You will need to pull the same vintage axles since they changed the bolt diameter on the control arms after 99. You could drill out the bolt holes on the axle though to fix that.

Also, you will need a new drivershaft yoke (axle end) since they use the larger u-joints. You will need to get new wheels (8-lug) as well. Everything else should be bolt on. The only thing is that the rear leafs for 3/4 and 1-tons are 3" wide where the 1/2 tons are 2 1/2" wide. You may need to modify the spring pearchs so that the u-bolts will fit tight enough.

Steering parts are identical between all models (same size, shape, diameter, tie rod end taper, etc). Trust me on this one, that I know for sure as I tried to upgrade to 3/4 ton parts when I bent my old stuff and it was identical.

Like Biginuf said, you will be fine with the D60 up front and the D70, D80 or the hybrid in the rear. The D70 is plenty strong and a bit smaller than the D80.

I would look into the Dynatrac conversion to manual hubs for that front axle though, since you are already spending the money :D:

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Oh yeah, you will also need ABS equipped axles if you have 4wheel ABS. Otherwise you may end up with PCM/ABS module issues since there will be no inputs (I know that a bad ABS/VSS will not let your speedo work and the MIL to go off)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
that hub conversion for the dana 60 is about $2000.00 what a rip just for locking hubs and an axle upgrade, you might as well by a new one from somewhere pre-built.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Jason for the most part you are correct. the steering is a little different between years. I swapped in a 98 d60 and had to shave the ends of my tie rods to get enough adjustment. They changed the sway bar mounting point in 97 or 98 so i'm having clearance issues with 98 sway bar mount and 95 connecting rod on passenger side. need to hack off mount or change steering. Also if you have ABS you can jumper it out. My front 1/2 was abs and d60 was not. I just jumpered the front connectors out and have no issues. Eventually I will tie the front sensors into the rear so it will still read a signal. No hurry though since my brakes work fine. The abs really doesn't work after you get larger tires, before the swap my rearend would still lockup with the 35" tires.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-02-15 10:50, Biginuf wrote:
that hub conversion for the dana 60 is about $2000.00 what a rip just for locking hubs and an axle upgrade, you might as well by a new one from somewhere pre-built.

True, just buy Dynatrac axle for $5-6000 with man hubs, ARB, 35 spline shafts, 5.13's....

On 2002-02-15 10:51, dgeram4x wrote:
Jason for the most part you are correct. the steering is a little different between years. I swapped in a 98 d60 and had to shave the ends of my tie rods to get enough adjustment. They changed the sway bar mounting point in 97 or 98 so i'm having clearance issues with 98 sway bar mount and 95 connecting rod on passenger side. need to hack off mount or change steering. Also if you have ABS you can jumper it out. My front 1/2 was abs and d60 was not. I just jumpered the front connectors out and have no issues. Eventually I will tie the front sensors into the rear so it will still read a signal. No hurry though since my brakes work fine. The abs really doesn't work after you get larger tires, before the swap my rearend would still lockup with the 35" tires.

That is why I said stay with the same vintage. The steering and stabilzer changed in 98 like you said. I was only saying that the parts are identical between models (I was a**uming the same year parts)

Didn't know you could jumper the ABS without causing problems. True that larger tires and some lift impact ABS (greater leverage from both)

The one thing that I would worry about swapping in a D60 from a Ram is that the axle shafts are identical to the 44, only the yokes/u-joints are larger on them. If you are looking for weak spots that is. I know that the hubs are better, larger R&P and pinion yoke/u-joint.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if i just wanted to change out the u-joints on the ends. the 3/4 ton u-joints and end of the shaft would be the only thing i would need to change? i want to get bigger u-joints in there ..... the ones that are in there are sooo small compared to the 3/4 tons. it looks like a very weak link that i want to upgrade. and ohh ya sorry ment dana 80 or 70

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If I knew how the outer shaft/hub setup worked on the D60 under teh 2500/3500's I would tell you. I know the inner shafts are identical, but if the outer stub shafts are not the same, then you can't swap unless you have custom outers made.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
the difference between the 44 and 60 is that the shaft tapers down at the spline for the 44. I was told the 60 doesn't have this taper.

P.s. i broke my 44 right at the taper. looked like it was cut with a saw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts