Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife overheated my truck and cracked both heads. The shop said they were repairable so I wouldn't have to replace them.
Does this generally work? I'm on a tight budget now (new baby), so I was happy about the lower cost. I'm concerned that the repair won't last.
I should have it back by the end of this week.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-05 20:43, Gone2 wrote:
My wife overheated my truck and cracked both heads. The shop said they were repairable so I wouldn't have to replace them.
Does this generally work? I'm on a tight budget now (new baby), so I was happy about the lower cost. I'm concerned that the repair won't last.
I should have it back by the end of this week.

yes they can be magnafluxed and the crack repaired (thats what happens on alot of remanufactured engines). you could also go to the junk yard and find a set of heads there cheap and have them redone. or get a new set for less than a grand. by the way did the shop already take the heads off and have them magnafluxed? or did they just look at the motor and say the heads are cracked? dodge is known for having s***ty head gaskets also which tend to blow. this just might be a scam to get extra cash from you. if they didnt remove the heads i would go somewhere else for a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i do not know what you are paying for the repair, but my mopar guy sells the raplacement heads for the magnum for preaty cheap. check it out. http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/index.html

96 Dodge Ram 1500 360 w/ auto trans. Extras include JBA headers, K&N filter, Mopar computer, 35,000 lbs trans cooler, shift kit, 3" Skyjacker sysrem, 4.10 gears detriot locker, and 35X12.50 tires on 15X10 rims.
Soon to come 5" skyjacker, Mopat R/T cam and heads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They removed the heads and took them to a third party shop that advised they were cracked. At this point they (dodge) are saying its less than $1000.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i want to say the replacement magnum heads are like $300 and some change. i do not know if that is pair or seprate, but email the guy i linked to above. that seems high to me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts