Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after hearing about all the stories about sucking water into the tranny and diff case...what are some things we can do to eliminate or minimize the chance of taking in water and other elements? Im thinking of fabing up a filter housing and terminating all the breather hoses to the filter housing. Maybe install the housing someplace in the bed up high??? Any input or thoughts???

·
Registered
246 Posts
well as far as i know you can move all the breather tubes form the rear end and the tranfercase and the from end were ever you want them but the tranny breather is in from of the front pump on the tranny in the bell houseing on the auto. so you can't really move it. i am workin with 98wheeler's dad to come up with something better when doug has his tranny out. i will keep everyone posted on what we came up with. but unfortunately if you can't move the tranny breather then thats you limmit. the weak link on dodges again that weak poorly built tranny.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think the weak link with the trannies is the RPM range they try to run at. Too much lugging in 4th, which heats it up to much. Especially with bigger tires...

3.55 gears and 35" tires and your tranny is on borrowed time... Ask a few people around here... Doug, Jason, Fritz... Not on their first (or even second) trannies.

But...

My plan is to use one of these:
http://www.knfilters.com/images/cvftb.jpg
http://www.knfilters.com/images/cvfds.jpg

And then run all the lines up to a central place. Only worry there is that you should probably segregate different fluids. Have the tranny and t-case on one, and the axles on antoher. You don't want the front axle to get hot, belch some fluid, and then have the tranny suck it in when you go through the mud-pit...

I'm thinking about the front of the bed of the cab, under the rear windshield. I've NEVER gotten mud there. And it's the only place...

·
Registered
246 Posts
so how are you going to hook that to the tranny. they look like great things for all the other breather lines but there is still the problem with the tranny not haveing a line to run it off of.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well, I plan on pulling the 46RE and stuffing an NV4500 in there. Then I'll run the NV4500's line up there. :):

For now, with the 46RE, I just have to keep an eye on the depths that I go. But I've had the body 3" into the stuff (you saw me at Frank Raines), and I kept the goo out of the tranny. BUT... I also wasn't in for long, and kept up forward momentum. When you stop moving, and it starts creeping up into the cracks, THAT's when I start to worry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts