Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as I noted before, i have a Hornady Lock-n-load AP progressive reloading press. So far I have loaded about 1,400 rounds of .357 Mag and my brother has run about 600 rounds of .44 Mag.

My current setup is using

• new MagTech brass
  • MagTech 158gr SJHP bullets
  • 14.9gr H110 powder
  • Winchester SPM primers
  • mild roll crimp

out of my 6" S&W 686 w/ PowerPort they shoot really well. Very consistent and accurate.

No chrono info, but the loading books put it around 1350fps, if I remember correctly.

I have loaded once fired Winchester and Remington brass as well, but with Hornady 158gr JHP using CCI and Winchester SPM primers. A little lighter powder load at the time though, 14.4gr of H110. Those shoot really good as well.

Even with the new brass, buying bulk components (1,000 of brass, primers, bullets and 8lb of powder) costs are about $20 per box of 50. with all the brass I have now, next round would be $12 per box of 50. Of course this does not account for shipping/hazmat,taxes, etc. A box of 50 JHP is normally $32-36 so its a good savings.

I am lazy and slow so I can turn out 200 rounds an hour. It gives me a little bit of "me time" so I try to stretch it out when possible. I have a small issue with the shell plate so its slower than normal, but when I really crank them out, 4-500 an hour is possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Sounds like it will be worth it in the end. Any "me time" is a good thing ifyou can get away from the wife/kids for a while. Id be willing to try a box out if you wanna send it my way :tongue: That way I can see how good this new Ruger is shooting.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
You must really like punishing yourself with H-110 haha.

Do you experience that loud sharp BANG when you shoot... or is it more of a thunder/roar/fireball?

If you have the bang, I'd recommend upping the powder charge... Hodgdon website lists 16.7gr as their max... and that powder doesn't shoot as well if you load it down below 5% of its max charge.... it burns much better/smoother when loaded near max.

My guess is you'll have pretty high extreme spreads with the lighter loads... I have found (from reading and load 45 colt "ruger only" loads) that it chronos in much more consistantly when loaded hot... although its not as plesant to shoot, I had 255gr going at 1450fps... although fun.... I much perfer to shoot them at 1000-1100fps.

Have you considered using lead bullets to drop the cost even more??? You'll be able to do $6-8 a box w/o problems. You can get some 158gr and shoot them at 800ish fps and make some great target loads, or load them up in the 1000fps range for some nice medium range stuff.... I'd get a different powder for that stuff though... W231, Bullseye, or Solo 1000 should be good, as well as unique and universal.... or you can even go with 148gr DEWC..... at 750fps they feel like a 22lr and shoot very well out to about 25yards.

My friend and I started dealing moly coated bullet as well... if you are interested let me know.

I love my LNL AP....just tossed the last batch of 45acp in the tumbler... have a 5 gallon bucket all cleaned up ready to load, have to replenish my stock... I think I'll load up 38/357mag as well... only got about 150 rds left.

Before I bought a case feeder... I used to do 300-350 an hour with one primer tube without stressing myself... 400-425 if I pushed it... now... if the whole system runs good(takes about 100-200 rounds to perfect when changing calibers) I can do 600 an hour comfortably with three primer tubes.

MIke.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Tango said:
Not only do you save $$$ but each bullet is the same so your shot placement is way better. :bigthumb:
Nahh... it doesn't save you any money... just causes you to spend more.

After getting into reloading.... I got into shooting USPSA, now I shoot Sunday matches 2 or 3 times a month, Thursday matches at my club 3-4 times a month, went to two state sectionals this year(took 1st and 2nd in my class woot woot!)... I bought a bunch of other guns since now I shoot a lot more... and I have shot, I think 10k rounds of 45acp since Christmas... luckily with casting my own and my friend having a dealer acct for supplies/splitting an order between 3 people, I can make 45acp for $2.60 a box of 50.

MIke.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since we are starting out, my brother and I are trying to use the same powder (he shoots .44 mag). Since the powder measure is so much $$ to buy by itself, we started with the same setup and just bought a $10 metering insert so we can each have our own. For some reason Hornady thinks the parts to build a full case activated powder drop with rotor, meter, etc is like 1/2 the price of the full press assembly.

The H110 shoots nice and comfortable, though it is out of my power ported 686. Its definitely the lowest charge I'd want to go with that powder, but its burning clean and almost completely (6" bbl helps). Its not perfect, but it works. Its got the same or more bang than most factory 158gr loads (my factory HSM loads are a fair bit hotter)

I don't like shooting lead, but I have thought of going to plated bullets (Berry's) for something "in between". The MagTech bullets are relatively inexpensive for what they are, though I have even thought of going to SWC for the range.

BUT, I have this weird feeling about large air space in a cartridge that is typical with a light charge and lead bullets. For some reason it bothers me. I'd have to shoot a powder that fills the cartridge but does not ruin the lead.

Once I have finished up the consumables I have left, I will look into different setups, but we've got quite a bit of H110 left as he's not loading as much as I thought he would.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I remember some guy on 1911forum had a powder drop(activated one) for sale for $50... might want to check that out.

I'm sure those portings make a hell of a difference especially with powder that makes as much gas as H110... it is a clean burning powder thats for sure.

I wouldn't worry about the powder/air gap... doesn't cause any issues with quick burning powders... I've shot 10s of 1000s of rounds this way. I'm trying to think of a powder that fills the case up more than others... I'll have to get to you on that... most though fill about 1/3-1/2 the case... so your actual "air gap" isn't more than 1/4 of the entire case capacity.

I know 2400, although still a magnum can be loaded lighter and it still takes up a good majority of the case.

MIke.

The Boss said:
Since we are starting out, my brother and I are trying to use the same powder (he shoots .44 mag). Since the powder measure is so much $$ to buy by itself, we started with the same setup and just bought a $10 metering insert so we can each have our own. For some reason Hornady thinks the parts to build a full case activated powder drop with rotor, meter, etc is like 1/2 the price of the full press assembly.

The H110 shoots nice and comfortable, though it is out of my power ported 686. Its definitely the lowest charge I'd want to go with that powder, but its burning clean and almost completely (6" bbl helps). Its not perfect, but it works. Its got the same or more bang than most factory 158gr loads (my factory HSM loads are a fair bit hotter)

I don't like shooting lead, but I have thought of going to plated bullets (Berry's) for something "in between". The MagTech bullets are relatively inexpensive for what they are, though I have even thought of going to SWC for the range.

BUT, I have this weird feeling about large air space in a cartridge that is typical with a light charge and lead bullets. For some reason it bothers me. I'd have to shoot a powder that fills the cartridge but does not ruin the lead.

Once I have finished up the consumables I have left, I will look into different setups, but we've got quite a bit of H110 left as he's not loading as much as I thought he would.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The H110 fills up the case pretty good at 15gr. There is maybe 1/4" of space between the powder and the base of the bullet.

I just need to use up the powder we have before I change to something more suitable for lead bullets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts