Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a Red Top Optimum power a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Quad Cab with no problems, or should I just keep the stock battery in it? I have a red top left over from my Tacoma and wanted to know if it will for.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
It will work fine. the only benefit, though, of a red top is that you can mount it any which way you want. it doesnt have anything better than a regular battery. the yellow tops are where the benefit is. they are a combined deep cycle and starting battery. normal deep cycle batteries will wear out quicker than this one because of the heavy draw at starting. optima has designed this deep cycle to do both. if youre going to get an optima, dont waste your money on a red top. get the good one, a yellow top.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I think the 1010 amps my red top puts out is a heck of a lot better than my my sotck 660 amp battery.. and I can mount it however I want!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I put the yellow top in my truck right after my stereo install. I figured that with the draw of the stereo on top of everything else that I needed something good.
Since I plan to put in a winch someday I figured that the yellow was the best way to go.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I gotta agree the Optima's are pretty sweet... but VERY pricy.

A cheaper alternative that will still work great (and have a 3 year full/7year prorated warranty on) is the Diehard Rangehandler (the grey batteries Sears Auto sells). I'm puting 1000 cold crankin amps, and 11 cranking amps with mine and have NO problems at all. I'm going to weld my winch on (hopefully) before I move to AZ. And that battery will be great for that. I paid $80 for the battery not including my employee discounts.

Just a second option.

-Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is a good price, the Red Top Optima's run 119 here, does anyone know where I can get them online for cheaper?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts