Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 1500 4x4 is reaching 60K miles pretty soon. I do all of the normal maintenence and checks on the truck. Unfortunately, I spend most of my time on the highway and not on the trail:(. Is there any major maintenance I should be doing or getting ready to do at this mileage. Should I switch over to a synthetic motor oil. Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Don't forget to have the tranny looked at and the fluid changed. Other than that check with your Dodge dealer nearby to find out what he reccomends.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tranny service, coolant flush, cap, rotor, axles, etc. Probably stuff you're already doing. Oh, and if 4x4, don't forget the t-case.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Also check plugs, wires and timing chain (simple check since already dealing with the dist cap), brake system flush, turn rotors/drum as needed, check or replace O2 sensors, check for play in driveshaft and axle shaft u-joints, check ball joints and hubs/bearings (2x4 or 4x4 dependent), shock bushings....

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Dont forget fuel filter and a Fuel injection cleaning

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-20 15:53, Rawkon wrote:
Dont forget fuel filter and a Fuel injection cleaning

the fuel filter requires dropping the gas tank to get to the fuel pump, since it wasnt meant to be changed like that(why i dont know, ever other F.I. vehicle ive ever owned told in the destruction manual to change every 15k).

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
doesnt checking the timing chain require you to pull the water pump and timing cover off?
unless your not checking for slack and just checking the timing to see if it jumped a tooth.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
you can check overall timing without removing the water pump. you set TDC, then back the crank up 20-30* to take up the slack and then roll it forward until the rotor jsut starts to move. check the change in degrees. more than 8-10* need to do the real slack test

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think 60K is a serp belt too. If you can have the tranny flushed not just change the fluid. BG makes cleaners for the tranny and the fuel injection. I use the fuel treatment in my truck everytime i chane my oil. Its not that you need to start using syntethic you may want to start usung a thicker oil like 20W 50

1 - 10 of 10 Posts