Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey , folks - I'm close to buying a new travel trailer (well, used but new to me) and would like to hear your suggestions on what brake controller to buy. The one I have now is pooched. Narrowed it down to 2 trailers up for sale nearby , both Jayco's , one is a '96 and one's a '97 , both 26 footers. The '96 has a GVWR of 7250 lbs or thereabouts , the '97 is a little over 6000. Been doing a little internet shopping/research , the Tekonsha P3 is what I'm looking at . Any feedback or other suggestions ? What do you guys use ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I have had a Tekonsha for about 7 years now...its worked for everything I have done. I have a 5k 5vr and a 10k utility...works well for both of them.

The only thing (and they may have fixed this) is that because they are inertia-based, at really slow speeds they don't engage hard and this can cause you to be pushed by the trailer (again, this is at speeds that won't even register on the speedo). Not a big deal on solid surfaces, but can be surprising on slippery surfaces...if you know about it, you just have a hand on the controller and manually apply the brakes.

I've been pleased with mine. Another one that I have only read about (but people reportedly like) is the BrakeSmart which plumbs into, and reads from, your brake's hydraulic system.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
If you want a Tekonsha, I will sell mine dirt cheap. It sucks when pulling heavy loads. It is fine for those who want to set it and forget it with small loads, but I think it is the worst brake controller I have ever dealt with. I cant get the trailer to lock em up empty, much less pulling a load, even with using the manual stop. If I hook my trailer up to any other system (even the integrated stock systems like Ford), I won't go past the mid way point in brake acceleration due to how violent the trailer stops. Notice I said stops tho -- something the Tekonsha will not do with my trailer. My front brakes beg for mercy every time I tow -- which is why I will not tow again until I replace my brake controller.

And yes, I have been back to the installer twice and both times he said my brake controller is maxing out/braking correctly.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
No offense Jeff, but I would suspect bad wiring from the controller to the trailer on the truck. I just had my trailer loaded to max GVW last week (10k), I could slide all four wheels without issue, and with only a little bit of power dialed in at the controller. As I said, I have had mine for seven years (brought my M37 back from New Mexico in 2003), and its been solid.

If the trailer works on another truck, and you're being told the controller itself is functioning; I would suspect faulty/corroded wiring on the truck.

I've seen this affect my own brakes, where the trailer had too many poor connections. I have reworked the brake wiring on both my trailers...all connections are soldered, no crimps of any kind. My camper brakes worked OK when I brought it home, and a year later would hardly engage...I pulled no less than 10 corroded Scotch-Locs from the brake wiring...I can slide all four wheels with no effort now.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
My Teshonka Voyager is a really old unit and it will lock up brakes easily. However it is designed for 4 axles or something crazy like that. It is also much more sensitive and 'touchy' than the newer stuff. It took me quite a while to get it dialed in for each load. But it works well once dialed in.

Jeff, as Steve stated, I would suspect a wiring issue with your truck given what you said. I know you don't want to hear about more wiring issues with the grey truck, but....

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The Boss said:
My Teshonka Voyager is a really old unit and it will lock up brakes easily. However it is designed for 4 axles or something crazy like that. It is also much more sensitive and 'touchy' than the newer stuff. It took me quite a while to get it dialed in for each load. But it works well once dialed in.

Jeff, as Steve stated, I would suspect a wiring issue with your truck given what you said. I know you don't want to hear about more wiring issues with the grey truck, but....
lo - grey truck... I will take it back one more time. They were going to install a new controller in a few weeks. I will instead have them look at all the wires. If nothing else, I will replace all the wires first. The only thing I can say is the Chevy Duramax I pulled the trailer with last time also did not like stopping 20,000 plus pounds. It was a little better (maybe), but I still kept my distance.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Check the trailer wiring for multiple splices...as I previously noted, they cause issues.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
superhawk2002 said:
The only thing I can say is the Chevy Duramax I pulled the trailer with last time also did not like stopping 20,000 plus pounds. It was a little better (maybe), but I still kept my distance.
20k is a lot to stop, regardless of the truck

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
The Boss said:
superhawk2002 said:
The only thing I can say is the Chevy Duramax I pulled the trailer with last time also did not like stopping 20,000 plus pounds. It was a little better (maybe), but I still kept my distance.
20k is a lot to stop, regardless of the truck
I agree - it is a lot to stop, but with the trailer on other systems, it stops much better than the Prodigy. I got the biggest possible brakes on the trailer possible without going air. It is a brand new trailer with LED lights and weatherproof wiring - I would hope the wiring is good, but I will check it out. It is under warranty for 2 more years.

The one thing I noticed is that empty - 10,000 pounds -- it stops very well. No issues at all. I feel comfortable with it empty, although it still would not lock em up, even on gravel, no matter how hard I mashed it. Loaded, its a totally different scare. Not a feel, a scare. :eek::

I am going to run everything over to the trailer place as soon as I get my carrier bearing figured out and see what they say. I have had the truck at the place that installed the controller. They have a big test kit to see if everything is functioning as it should and they say I am good to go. It is a very reputable place (Waymire.com).

To stay on track, I have heard good things about Jordan systems. I am also looking at MaxBrake controllers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well , I think my wiring is all good . Gonna go with the P3 . Up here they're over $200 retail (yeah , really !) - out of the States I can get one for a little over a hundred , even factoring in shipping costs it's still way better than just the cost of a basic controller here . Probably overkill for a 4 to 5000 lb tandem but can't go wrong for the price . Let ya know how it works , it'll take a week or so to get here .

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I like the one I have. Not sure what make it is but it has a button to press to turn on just the trailer brakes, and a slide to adjust how much braking you need. The slide is handy so when the trailer is empty you're not leaving skid marks at every stop.

I think is was around $150.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts