Rebuilding 46RE

Discussion in 'Newbie Tech' started by bajabomber87, Jul 15, 2007.

1. bajabomber87

bajabomber87 New Member

Im pretty sure my trannys about to take a dump and ive looked into rebuilding it. Is it rediculously hard and is there any special tools ill need? Or should i save up and get another tranny cuz getn it rebuilt by a shop is more than getn a rebuilt one thru ebay. Any info will help...thanks.

2. v10sport

v10sport Guest

Tranny is very simple to rebuild. If you have a manual it isnt too bad. One issue to run into is that the rebuild kits seals are not labeled and you have too compare old seals to new seals. Also some seals are updated and dont look the same. Most of the tranny can be pulled apart with a screwdriver and snap ring pliers. You do need to slide hammers to pull the frnt pump off, and the one tool you have to have is to pull the overrun clutches out of the OD unit. It looks like a bird cage and you have to compress a 800 pound spring to remove the snap ring.

Also while you have the tranny out, drill and tap the top of the case add a elbow and add a vent line, then plug your weep hole. This will waterproof the tranny.

3. v10sport

v10sport Guest

4. bajabomber87

bajabomber87 New Member

Thanks V10...where is the tool that compresses the 800# spring available at? And y do you prefer running dexron mercon 3 instead?

5. v10sport

v10sport Guest

Ill check with my buddy I borrowed the tools from. I did prefer the dexron over the atf. I believe it has less friction modifier than atf. Less slippage. You cant mix the 2 though. DTT only runs dextron in there trannys. If it is good enough for a 5k Tranny, its good enough for me

6. bajabomber87

bajabomber87 New Member

After reading your build i think i can basically do the 727 part of the tranny in my garage then take the O.D. unit to my buddies shop so i can use the press. Is there any company you'd recommend for a rebuild kit or are they all mostly the same? Im just looking for a normal soft parts rebuild kit

7. v10sport

v10sport Guest

Yeah the front part is just like a 727, and you can pull the OD clutches without special tools. Its the overrun clutches in the od unit that need it. If you can use the press, you're good to go. As for the rebuild kit, you dont have to go nuts, but do a few upgrades. I got all mine from DTT for 510 shipped to my door. That included a billet piston that allows extra clutches in the forward hub, beefed up band strut, all steels, clutches forward band. The kit did not come with the rear band. You may want to order that. You can check to make sure everything is working with compressed air before you drop the VB in. I can get you a diagram of the ports to use. Soak all the clutches in tranny fluid prior to install. It us also worth throwing a transgo shift kit in it also.

If you wanted a basic rebuild, I thing you can get steels, clutches and seals for just under 200 bucks.

If you have alot of debry, make sure you flush the tranny lines and geting a new converter

8. KB440

KB440 Well-Known Member

I would definitely get a new converter. That is one of the biggest problems with these transmissions. I agree with the shift kit too, this will allow the fluid to circulate in park and firm up the shifts.

9. bajabomber87

bajabomber87 New Member

Actually i do have a transgo shift kit already installed in the tranny and it works great...im just plannin on pushing the kit to the full heavyduty/race from the rv towing its at now...basically the hella firm 1-2 shift. I think ill just go with a basic kit but with new steels and bearing kit for the o.d. it should come out to about $300. Should i replace the t.c. even if ive had no problems with it?

10. v10sport

v10sport Guest

I had my shift kit was set on race. Shifted great. I reused my converter, but they can be the weak link in the tranny. You may be able to find one at a reasonable price. I know the fastman had great deals on Dodge converters

11. v10sport

v10sport Guest

Here is the info you PM me for.

AIR TESTING TRANSMISSION CLUTCH AND BAND OPERATION

Air-pressure testing can be used to check transmission front/rear clutch and band operation. The test can be conducted with the transmission either in the vehicle or on the work bench, as a final check, after overhaul.

Air-pressure testing requires that the oil pan and valve body be removed from the transmission. The servo and clutch apply passages are shown

Air Pressure Test Passages

Front Clutch Air Test

Place one or two fingers on the clutch housing and apply air pressure through front clutch apply passage. Piston movement can be felt and a soft thump heard as the clutch applies.

Rear Clutch Air Test

Place one or two fingers on the clutch housing and apply air pressure through rear clutch apply passage. Piston movement can be felt and a soft thump heard as the clutch applies.

Front Servo Air Test

Apply air pressure to the front servo apply passage. The servo rod should extend and cause the band to tighten around the drum. Spring pressure should release the servo when air pressure is removed.

Rear Servo Air Test

Apply air pressure to the rear servo apply passage. The servo rod should extend and cause the band to tighten around the drum. Spring pressure should release the servo when air pressure is removed.

12. v10sport

v10sport Guest

diagram

Attached Files:

13. bajabomber87

bajabomber87 New Member

Well i pulled the pan today and the rear band was loose as a goose. so i put it back to specs and i got reverse back!!! so im just gona hold off on rebuilding it until i need it.

14. MudWorker88

MudWorker88 New Member

I realize this is an old thread, but very good information. I'm trying to fix my son's trans, 99 Dakota R/T, he lost reverse, bands are close to spec, maybe a little loose. I found the 3-4 accumulator spring was broken. I have replaced the spring, and for safety sake replacing all the solenoids, the bands look good, the fluid was clean.
    After reading your information and images of where to check with air pressure I'll be starting that before installing the valve body.
    Is there anything else I should look for?
    I made the mistake of not road testing it before taking the pan down, so I do not know if it had engine braking while manually down shifting.
    Thanks in advance.

15. 1olivetti690

1olivetti690 New Member

Do you know much about Dodge tranny's