Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My back end (seems driver side, but hard to tell) is making a squeeking noise. It kinda sounds like it has something to do with the tires, cus if Im not moving, its fine, if i get past 3rd (40mph or so) it either stops or i can no longer hear it cus of my exhaust setup :): my question is, what could be causing this metal-on-metal sounding squeek? I have two suspicions 1. brakes - i had them redone over the summer, so i doubt its the pads are worn, also no idiot lights have turned on for it. Could it be brake dust?? 2. Two and a half weeks ago I got stuck, and I mean STUCK it took five trucks, three hours, a shovel and a case of beer to get me out. in the process, i got yanked a couple of times to free me from my prison, now I dont think the wheels got bent any, but i did plow up some earth cus i was pulled kinda sideways (straight forward and back werent an option) so possibly could it be from that?

What do yout guys think it could be? Should I get an alignment/rotation or is it just brake dust, or maybe something else?? It really bothers me to hear this squeek, its annoying and it just sounds painful :(:
PS - if I pump the brake or push them in really hard, it seems fine, leading me to believe its the brakes, but again, i had them redone no less than 4-6 months ago, with no e-brake use at all. Please help, Im kinda lost here!
-Eric

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
When you got stuck where did you attach the tow strap at in the back. Alo if you where being pulled sideways onstead of parrellel with your truck you could have messed somethin up in the rear axle/springs/shocks.
i had a squeek in the back of my truck and after I replaced the shocks the squeek went away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The strap was attached on the passenger side rear bumper. It really sounds as if the squeek is coming from the drivers side tire though, so your guess is as good (probably better) as mine

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
does the squeek happen on bumps or just on smooth road or when? if its bumps then i could be the shocks. if its just smooth road, i would look at the brakes. i believe that you have drum brakes in the back, and they could have a rock or mud or something in them. take off the drum and see. also it might just take time to go away. let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, im really thinking its the brakes after driving around a bit more and talking it over with a buddy mechanic of mine, ill have them checked out, thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
My bedliner chafes a lot, and for some reason it only makes noise when it's clean back there... Also, my passenger rear springs were speaky for a while, went back and found out there was wax or something jammed in between the leafs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
try cleaning the rear brakes and before you do lift the truck up and spin the rear tires(kinda fast)to see if when pulling sideways you either bent a rim or axle shaft.

also some debri could have gotten in there too and when the drum is off look at the brake backing plate for heavy scratches as these can bend also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts