Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna fabricate a dual rear shocks system at each corner for the rear, the first step will be grinding the lower shock mount on the passenger side off and turning it around, I already have all 4 shocks so I may begin soon. So my question is, Has anyone every had to grind off the rear passenger lower side mount? Was it what you expected?
Im not sure if im gonna try to grind or cut the lower mount off. My exhaust will also be relocated due to this. I could put dual shocks on right now with grade 8 hardware but I like the look of all 4 shocks running the same way.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i agree with you big. ive seen some chevys done this way and it looks really good. show us some pics when youre done. ill prob be not far behind you in doing it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I love the idea, I have always wanted duals on all four corners, I think I will fallow you, just after you post all the problems you had. GOOD LUCK tell us how it goes.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
you have seen that dude the either works for or owns a machine shop that made his own dual mounts right? BadMonkey is the trucks name. the guy must have way to much free time! from what his website showed, he did an awesome job on everything.

i have cut off leafspring mounts of the frame and axle when i did a hydraulic and 4 link install on my nissan a few years back. if you have a fizz wheel, it will go a lot easier with that then a grinder. plus the fizz wheel are cheaper to replace and last longer for something like that

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
BadMonkey is owned by MarkFlip, same guy that does the custom RS9000 guage panels and fittings (advertises and is a member here):

http://www.marksmark.net/

We live relatively near each other. I've seen his shop... Droooll....

VERY nice.

Story I got from him is that he was tired of doing cool sh*t for other people all the time at work, and not having anything of his own to show for it. So he started in on the RC Truck (which is just WILD), and then built up the ram.

BUT, if you go with rear duals, I'd do a couple cautions.

The staggered shocks are done to eliminate a certain kind of bucking that can occur with leaf springs due to moving the springs back/forth on the shackle. With all the shocks on the same side, it can allow the axle to move in such a way that the shocks don't compress. Sorry, I'm not a suspenion expert, but have another friend who is (Ranger, Explorer, and LS suspension engineer), who explained this.

So you might want to keep them in the staggered config.

Then, you'll definitely want to run RS9000s, and possibly even the softest-valved ones you can find.

The duals in the rear are pretty much a show-only item. If you need a stiffer rear, then you definitely need new shocks. My RS9000s on 5 will rattle your fillings out. Never over 3, even with 400-500 lbs in the bed.

The only other reason to run duals is for fading due to heat. This probably isn't a problem for you (no 60mph bajaing over on that coast...)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
One other thing, if you look at Mark's site, you'll see the pics and write-up of when he ground his off...

I'd suggest a plasma cutter.... He didn't have a fun time getting them off.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-24 16:11, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
thats what i had planned on using. :): i love having a plasma.

some of us dont have the luxury of a plasma (sigh)
wish i did though, its a pretty cool toy!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-24 16:11, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
thats what i had planned on using. :): i love having a plasma.

some of us dont have the luxury of a plasma (sigh)
wish i did though, its a pretty cool toy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts