Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I foolishly attempted to lift the rear of my 96' 1500 SLT with a 2" kit from VIP (I know I know). At any rate, I went with a 2" block on top of the factory 3". I ended up snapping two Ubolts with only a 6" socket wrench. I obviously took them back and will be getting quality bolts somewhere else. I am now thinking it makes more sense to get 5" blocks to eliminate stacking, and will also have an offset for the axle positioning. I currently have a skyjacker 3" suspension and performance accessories 3" body lift. My plan is to raise the truck two more inches with Daystars up front and blocks in the back. Can anyone who has been in this territory give me some pointers or some input as to if this is a wise decision. I am hesitant because I am pushing the limits ( brake lines and such)and don't want to go to far.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have done the very thing you are describing. I have daystars on 3/4 ton springs and rancho add a leafs and 2 inch blocks on top of factory blocks in back. I don't really see a problem with it. I have had mine this way for 6 months and no prob. I would insist on using only very high quality custom bent U bolts. Mine are 9/16 inch thick. I had them made by a big truck spring and brake shop. Put the fatory blocks on top for the sake of the bumstop. Check them every hundred miles at first. Every time I have taken my back u bolts I check em every hundred miles and tighten them 3 times. After that they won't be loose. FYI I tighten my bolts with a 15 inch 1/2" drive ratchet as tight as I can get em. Remember there is a lot riding on those things. If your bolts can't take pressure from your arm how in the hell are they going to keep your axle under your truck?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Topper- brake lines should be a non-issue on your dodge, on the front axle the brake line makes a U shape on a bracket, unbolt that bracket from the front axle(near the control arms) take a pair of channel locks or plyers and pry open the bracket in all 3 spots that it is wrapped around the the brake line, dispose of the bracket and if need be ziptie the brake line to the upper control arm loosely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts