Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I printed out the torque specs from dodgeram.org and they're saying the torque for the rear axle nut (wheel bearing nut) is 130 ft lbs! That's way to much.

Can't i just tighten it till it snugs and has a bit of drag on it, then back off a hair and tap the wedge into the nylock? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-05-25 05:03, GotSmoke wrote:
I printed out the torque specs from dodgeram.org and they're saying the torque for the rear axle nut (wheel bearing nut) is 130 ft lbs! That's way to much.

Can't i just tighten it till it snugs and has a bit of drag on it, then back off a hair and tap the wedge into the nylock? Thanks

Just curious what nut are you talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
the 60's and 70's have a big nut that helps to hold the axle shaft in
i guess when i retorqued mine down i just snugged em up good and when they got to be snug i looked and they were right in line with the notch and the slits in the nylock
-Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-05-25 19:08, snow ram wrote:
the 60's and 70's have a big nut that helps to hold the axle shaft in
i guess when i retorqued mine down i just snugged em up good and when they got to be snug i looked and they were right in line with the notch and the slits in the nylock
-Josh

Where is the nut at? On the end of the shaft? I dont see how they could have a nut on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
your semi flout 9.25 wont have one. Ill have to try and remeber when I replace some seals to take some pictures of it and show you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,312 Posts
On 2005-05-25 19:08, snow ram wrote:
the 60's and 70's have a big nut that helps to hold the axle shaft in
i guess when i retorqued mine down i just snugged em up good and when they got to be snug i looked and they were right in line with the notch and the slits in the nylock
-Josh

Doesn't hold the axle shaft in, it hold the hub on.

nut in the center of the hub
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-05-25 22:41, Lee wrote:
On 2005-05-25 19:08, snow ram wrote:
the 60's and 70's have a big nut that helps to hold the axle shaft in
i guess when i retorqued mine down i just snugged em up good and when they got to be snug i looked and they were right in line with the notch and the slits in the nylock
-Josh

Doesn't hold the axle shaft in, it hold the hub on.

nut in the center of the hub

Gotchya!!! It is similar to my 14BFF but on the 14BFF you use a hammer and screwdriver. It doesnt have 6 side for a socket to fit on. That is kind of what I figured it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,242 Posts
:rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-05-26 12:21, Madd Ramm wrote:
Um...actually there is a socket that has prongs that you are supposed to use...not a hammer and screwdriver. :poke:


yeah I know I saw one at auto zone. But hey this worked out just fine!!! Got to use what you got. :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,312 Posts
you will need the socket when you put it back together so you can tourque it correctly, hammer and screwdriver are not gonna work for that. BTW, the only reason you tourque it is to seat the bearings, you back off so there is very little tourque on it after they are seated. If it is a two nut spindle desing the the outer nut does get tourqed and stays tourqued
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-05-26 21:12, Lee wrote:
you will need the socket when you put it back together so you can tourque it correctly, hammer and screwdriver are not gonna work for that. BTW, the only reason you tourque it is to seat the bearings, you back off so there is very little tourque on it after they are seated. If it is a two nut spindle desing the the outer nut does get tourqed and stays tourqued

Ok so how much do I torque the first nut too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,312 Posts
On 2005-05-26 21:18, Robert97dodge wrote:


Ok so how much do I torque the first nut too?

50 ft lbs, than back off 1/2 turn. the spacer goes in and the outer nut gets tourqed to 120 ft lbs. that is if your 14 bolt has the daul nut setup, there where different setups used throught the years
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-05-26 21:23, Lee wrote:
On 2005-05-26 21:18, Robert97dodge wrote:


Ok so how much do I torque the first nut too?

50 ft lbs, than back off 1/2 turn. the spacer goes in and the outer nut gets tourqed to 120 ft lbs. that is if your 14 bolt has the daul nut setup, there where different setups used throught the years

It has a washer that goes on then a nut and then a little washer thing with prongs on the outside that fold over the second nut to hold it in place. So yes it has two nuts. Two nuts are better than one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,237 Posts
On 2005-05-26 12:21, Madd Ramm wrote:
Um...actually there is a socket that has prongs that you are supposed to use...not a hammer and screwdriver. :poke:

the dodge 70's dont have prongs. its a regular hex nut slightly larger than 2.5" i think it was. had to make my own cus i couldnt find anything that would fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,648 Posts
Thank GAWD I was only talking about a 14 bolt in response to his question about a 14 bolt. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

We were quite aware of what Dana axles had seeing as how there was a picture. :wink:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top