Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know very little about gears but what harm does can it be to run 4.10's in the back and 3.55's up front. unfotunately most of my driving is in 2 wheel drive (street) and i can't see throwing $600 at regearing the front that will only be used a couple times a month.
if i do this will it hurt to run the truck in 4wheel drive. I'm going to 35's but i've heard plenty of horror stories about 3.55's and 35's and thought i could get around it cause i dont' have the moneyto spare for both diffs

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Bad idea running 2 different gear sets. Will do bad things to the trasnfer case.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You will end up spending alot of money repairing your transfer case. It will not work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A few points off is okay (like 4.10 with 4.11) but 3.55 with 4.10 is trouble. It'll bind up the drivetrain. Something will have to give (or give out).

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If you can't afford the front gears and you are dead set on the doing the rear, just remove the front driveshaft, so you will never make the mistake of putting it 4WD and breaking lots of expensive parts

Then you can pretend you are a Ford Super Duty with 14" of lift blocks and don't have a front shaft installed becuase your factory one binds or is too short :D:

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i have a difference of 4.0/front and 4.1/back. i would think that as long as you only use it in softer stuff it would be ok for a while, but you would have to really be careful and watch it. maybe? as long as the tires can absorb the difference.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
OR you could compensate for the difference by installing different size tires in the front that the rear.

·
Registered
362 Posts
HAHAHA, I like that one Jason, a super duty, HAHAHAH!!!! It is a bad idea not to do both because it will cause the drive train to bind and something is going to have to give, you might be able to get away in the soupy, super slimy stuff but the moment you catch grip with both axles your done with and shawn idea of 2 different tires would be absoutly hedious (Jason you need to add a spell check option, cause by the time I get on this site I cant spell worth a shi#$t).

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
no the bigger tires in the back and smallers in the front would give it ahhh ahhh, that california rake look!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
diffrent ratios in the front and back is bad juw juw!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You guys ever see the Top truck challenge video with the Quagmyre???? 48" Firestone's in the rear and 40" Gumbo's in the front? That was pretty cool. But on the subject of 2 different ratio's....bad idea, real bad. Even in sloppy mud i think the t-case would fail.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
there are exceptions to everything. i have several "quag" articals. that truck is on the bulit proof side. anyone with a street daily driver should not look at trucks like that.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The rule for running two different gear ratio's is 10% difference from the lowest of the set. If you are in that range, you should be okay, FOR AWHILE. Not forever. Just wait and get the right gears for the front end, and do it the correct way. T-cases are expensive, I can vouch for that one...:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts