Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the deal. I've heard the RS9000's ride great so I ordered a set for my truck. The tallest they make is for a 4" lift. My truck has a 6" lift. I ordered the 4" and had my cousin who's a machinist refab my shock towers so they have 2" of drop, that way they should be perfect for a 6" lift. After bolting in the bottoms I thought they looked short. I extended them and measured them and they're 3" shorter than the Rough Country Nitros(for a 3" lift) I just took of. WTF? I still have my stock shocks and after measuring them, they are 1" taller than my stock shocks.WTF? I immediatly called Summit and said hey you sent me the wrong part. After checking and rechecking, the rep said that's the right part # for the Rancho with a 4" lift. I then went to Rancho's web site and confirmed it myself. They're so called 4" lift shock measures only 1" longer than the stock shocks. I'm calling Rancho Monday morning and asking them what the're deal is to say the least. :rant: Buy the way,anybody want to buy some shocks for a 1" lift?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Buy the way, actually I'm having him make some flat plates to replace the shock towers so I can still use the shocks due to the fact I installed them already and can;t return them. Still pisses me off though

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I can answer this one. I have the part #'s somewhere (currently looking for them myself) that I got directly from Rancho (you have to call and talk to their reps, the guys from Summit are dumb jackasses and are just like parts drones) on the specific shocks that you will need. Give me a couple days, and I will find the part numbers that you need. Trust me, they make shocks (RS9000's) that are plenty long enough for 5" and above lifts, think about the racing prerunners that have shocks with 35" of travel...I recall the Rancho Rep told me they make a shock that has like 38" of travel with remote resevoirs...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How come they don't show anything longer on they're web site? I was told by a couple of places that all they make is up to a 4" lift so that's as far as they're shocks go.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, the website is one thing, actually talking to the Reps is another thing. I have seen the RS9000's on my buddy's old truck, so I know for a fact that they exist for 5" applications and above. I have another friend with RS9000's on the front and rear of his Jeep, and he has over 28" of travel in the shocks alone. The 4wheelparts website is more expensive than actually calling up and asking for a cheaper price. How can you haggle with a computer, right? And as far as asking other people, other than the actual Rancho Reps, how is it that they would know more than the company reps would? Catch my drift...? :wink:

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if someone lists a part for a 4" lift and you order that part# and get the exact part# you ordered, there should be no reason to question it right? All I'm saying is that part # they list is not what they say it is. Reguardless, I'll find out more on Monday

·
Registered
203 Posts
i have a few rs5000s laying around and i was curious after reading your post. the rs5000s that i measured are for a rancho 3 inch lift and when fully extended they were 27 ½ inches. this is from the top of the stem to the bottom of the grommet mount.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I understand what you are saying, but you have a 6" suspension lift, why would you order shocks for a 4" lift? You probably got what you ordered (I guess, don't know the summit guys and how they are), and the shocks are just inadequate for your lift. The stock shocks *actually* have a decent amount of travel in them, the rear stock shocks are only 1" shorter than the Skyjacker 5" shocks are! I was VERY suprised to see that when I compared shocks, I was expecting there to be a lot of difference, but there wasn't. If you would like some help getting the proper part #'s, just let me know and I will be happy to help you out in your dilemma.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
P.S.--when I speak of travel on shocks, I am talking about the length of the piston coming out of the shock, not the entire length of the shock. So when I say 28" of travel, I mean the length of *just* the piston to the top of the shock where it enters fully extended. Sorry to be confusing.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
My new RS5000s are very short. I bought them for a 2-3" lift according to their specs. When fully extended, there was a lot loss travel than I expected.

I am going to look into some RS9012s (14" travel) and build some new upper shock brackets to get more droop. Limiting straps may be in order....

The truck still flexes goo dthough. I went to the grand opening of a 4x4 shop today and they had a 30* ramp. Although the wheelbase makes my RTI score suck, I did get nearly as far up the ramp as most of the hardcore rock rigs with near full width axles and custom buggy leafs or 4 links. I was only one rung lower than most of the others. Nearly 4 feet of vertical.

Cool too see the driver front coil compressed to about 7" tall.... The pass side corner of the rear bumper was about 10" off the ground. Lots of "cool"s and "yeah"s when I got up there, made me feel okay about it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I run RS9000's for my 5.5" lift and I didn't have to custom make any type of shock mounts. They just measured with the lift installed and installed the correct shock. Haven't had any problems with them being too short at all so I know Rancho does make them.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
With the rancho 9000's, how do they adjust? Do you have to have onboard air or something to adjust them, or is it all self contained? Thanks.

Nick.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
those big prerunners dont run 9000's. they run coilovers like king or sway-a-way. 9000's wouldnt handle near the abuse that those trucks see.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The way I understand it is that Rancho only makes a shock for a Ram up to a 4" lift because they only make up to a 4" lift for a Ram. I tried to cross reference the numbers to see if they had some for a different application without sucess. That's why I fabed my towers to a 2" drop to make up the difference. Beast, it you can find out the numbers for longer ones that will fit a Dodge, let me know

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I measures all 3 shocks from the ring on the top that the grommet sits on to the center of the bottom bolt hole;
stock-22 1/4"
Rancho RS9000 23 1/2"
Rough country Nitro 9000 for 3" lift 26"
The piston travel is about the same on all 3.
With the Ranchos installed with my refabed towers, I'll have 3" of drop before the shock bottoms out. That doesn't seem like enough. Am I wrong? The thing that throws me off is that they are so much shorter than a shock for a 3" lift. I thought this was a good fix for a nice ride. Nows it's turned into a headache....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'll see what I can dig up for you. Give me a few days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Luv my Ram!

went out on the driveway and looked what I've installed with my 5" lift.
Here we go!
I've got the RS 9000 9221 in the orig. pos.
I have removed the stock upper shocktower and mounted the upper RS 9000 shockstem to a flat plate that I've had machined.
This shock setup is longer in the fully extended pos. so you should go with limiting staps or the dual shock setup witch itself limits the fully extended pos. to the skyjacker specs..
Without this, you probably could overextend the susp.and driveshaftbinding could occur!!!!
I've got the RS 9114 in the dual shock pos., this shock is mostly the size of the Skyjacker shock for the dual pos.
On my Truck it works!
Hope this helps a little bit.

Have a nice day

Hans

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yeah, I'd order Rancho's by part number or length, not by application. A buddy of mine ordered shocks for his 3" lifted Jeep, and when we installed them, they were the SAME exact length as the stockers, extended AND compressed.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
The number of the rancho that will fit your truck with 6" of lift are the 9012. A frind of mina has those on a Wrangler with a huge lift, and the flexing capabilities of the Jeep is incredible. Go to a dealer of Rancho and make them install the 9012 and see it by yourself.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Does using the flat shock tower plate limit your flex at all?? It looks like the tower allows the shock body to compress up into it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts