Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, with my current setup (see the Projects link above for specifics) I ran down to the local OHV park that has an old loading ramp.

We I maxed out the 24.5* ramp, which was cool. The end of the ramp has indentation for tires so when you see the pics, I am not at the top, but I am at the highest part of the ramp.

While I had it up there, I went as took some measurements:

Distance between the outer most coil bucket edges was 18" drop side, 10.25" compressed side

Distance between bottom of frame and bumpstop "arm" on rear block was 12.5" drop side, 2" compressed side (actually the bumpstop was pushed off the "arm" cuz it was so stuffed)

Now for the RTI results:

On the ramp as tested, scored 640
Score converted to other ramps:

20* - 778
22* - 710
23* - 680
25* - 629
30* - 532
35* - 464

Pics are <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.pavementsucks.com/album/ramp01.cgi" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wow Jason, how do you get so much flex? I have my swaybar disconnected, plenty of clearence for the tires to stuff, and longer control arms and I cant come very close to those scores. I've never seen my bumpstops hitting so I know that isnt the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your TrailMaster lift include new coils? If so, they could be stiff compared to my stock #20 and #21 (IIRC) coils. I also have about 1.5" of travel left until I hit the stops up front.

Also, hwo is your rear spring set up? Mine uses add-a-leafs and if yours is new leaf packs, theyy could also be stiffer. You can see in my pics that the rear leaf is bent in a slight "S" shape.

BTW, the coil bucket measurements are to the factory buckets, not the spacers. That means the factory coil was compressed to about 7" tall and the otherside opened up to 15".

If it was not for the shcoks, I could probably get a little ore out of the front end. Problem is I need a longer or taller ramp :):

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Now think about it, that is stock springs with a spacer, think about replacement coils! Hence, that is why I score so well right now with my lift. Can't wait to break into the 1000's...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hear all this bad news about coil spacers but i feel that 3" spacers are not a bad thing. The factory coils are not as stiff as my skyjacker coils, therefore he's getting more flex. This is one reason why i think i will add a body lift instead of going to a 5" kit.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah Jason, my trailmaster lift gave me new coils up front which are probably stiffer. I do have add a leafs in the rear though.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2002-05-04 22:33, The Beast wrote:
Now think about it, that is stock springs with a spacer, think about replacement coils! Hence, that is why I score so well right now with my lift. Can't wait to break into the 1000's...

Steve -

You need to remember that I only have a 3" lift so I could never get as much flex as you could becuase I max out the control arms and hit the bumpstos sooner than you.

As for replacement coils, the only difference in flex would be the additional distance the additional coil (6 coils vs factory 5 coils) would give me. It is not that much as you can see the top of the coil is the stiffest and it all depends on where that extra coil is, top or bottom.

Now, for a 4"+ lift, I would get replacement coils becuase then the extra wind or two on the coil would make a big difference.

I might have hit 900 on a 20* ramp if I had a longer one to try....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Was your left rear tire coming off the ground when you stopped going up Jason? I stop as soon as I see that tire come up. Thats is if i'm felxing that side.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I normally stop when the rear tire starts to lift, but this time I just ran out of ramp. There is the flat spot at the top so I could have moved forward but I would have not climbed anymore, and there is that stupid "rail" at the top that I did not want to hang the knuckle up on.

Yes there was damage to the fender, but that has been happening ever since I started to really work the suspension after the SSRs were installed. So there was no "new" damage, just heling along what was already there :D:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Oh yeah Jason, I was just saying wait until you replace the factory ones, and the numbers that you will get in to! Wasn't trying to say that you suck or anything! I would love to see a Chevy even ATTEMPT to do what we do with our trucks on the ramp...seeing as how IFS flexes more than a SFA can (so I have been told...:lol:)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Damn impressive, Jason...

And definitely thanks for the compressed, uncompressed numbers for the spring buckets. That's highly usefull!.

8" of travel, when crossing-up the axles, Hmmm.

And shocks the limiting factor?...

HMmmmmm.

Methinks that 10-12" strock king's would solve that... :):

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, a few more inches on the shocks and I would be good. The current RS5000s have 9.5" travel or so.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey jason, you should send one of those pics into the 4x4 rags. They are pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Nice Pics. Jason, a question, do you always run with your sway bar disconnect? If you did so, do you have to much body roll?

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I was seeing the pics and figured that you changed the steering bars, and that the bars that you have are some like the Rockproof system, but with johnny joints, Where did you get does bars?, they look much better than the RockProof System.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Big, I might send them one of these days.

I have been running without the swaybar for a while now (again, I go through stages) and body roll is of concern, but I just watch my speed in turns.

The steering system is chromoly tube with GM HD Blazer tierod ends. It is a conversion to cross-over style where the tierod goes from knuckl to knuckle and the draglink attaches to the tierod. It is what the 00-01 Rams changed to if I recall correctly. It was builts by a local custom 4x4 fabrication shop.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Which was the price of the system?, maybe you could contact me with the shop. A phone number and contact name would help.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Correct, it's what the 00+ solid-axles have for steering geometry.

Jason, do you have any bump-steer issues at all, with you stabilizer mounted where it is? I'm thinking about getting the dual stabilizers in the 99 and earlier oem location, and not a dual inline on the axle, to get it up out of the way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts