Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of ya'll had any expirences with ramsey winches? I have the chance to buy one for fairly cheep, but if they are no good, i would rather wait and buy a warn.

thanks
jake

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I had a ramsey rep9000 on a quick mount system, i could put it on the front or rear into a trailer hitch, the ramsey would take no time to heat up. Also after the first time I got it muddy if would no longer switch into the free-spool mode, the mud jammed the switch. It was slow and underpowered, it didnt have a problem pulling out jeeps nad yota's but it was never able to free my f-150. Save your money, unless its dirt cheap and you just want it for looks.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard also that Ramsey's winches are made cheap and are not built for the heavy stuff. Even though they may be rated for whatever and my work the first couple of times they usually don't last. I would look at WARN or MileMarker like BIGINUF has. DDGETHS

·
Registered
807 Posts
i dont have any experience with them but alot of magazines say that the platinum 9500 is one of the best out there.

http://www.ramsey.com/winches/platinum9500.html

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've heard people on both sides of the fence between the two winches. Some people swear by one, others by the other.

I've heard Ramsey lovers claim that Warn's can't be lubricated, and by using sealed bearings, won't last as long. :dunno: I've never taken one apart (and don't plan on it).

Warn lovers pretty much just state that they use them, a lot, and it works.

<shrug>

Do we have any Warn owners here that have really put thier winches to the test (more than once), and the same with Ramsey owners?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I put a ramsey rep9000 to the test many times, it would repeatedly fail, on full size trucks stuck in deep mud i can NEVER actually remember it working on a full size truck, on small trucks it worked ok, but after the first time it got muddy it would never shift into free-spool. They are P.O.S.
Also the little prongs where you plug the remote control in, they all got bent easily and broke off.That sucked too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts