Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kinda goes along with my post last night about the ram my dad came home with last night. In case you havent read that one, he drove home in a '99 1500 4x4 extended cab, short bed, white, 360 v8, auto dodge ram. The truck was really bad ass. Of course my first impression was that he had bought it for me but to my dissapointment, it was just a customer's truck that he was driving before he worked on it(he is a mechanic). The truck was stock hieght and had stock gears and it had bfg all terrains that were 33/12.5 on some nice lookin custom chrome rims. What my dad said after driving it home was that it had absolutely no power. He called it "gutless". He figured that the bigger tires really drug it down and it needed a gear swap or he would need to rebuild the tranny in less than a year. That is what i posted about last night. I got alot of responses saying similar things about power loss with stock gears and 33's. Thats fine, i dont need that much power and i kinda planned to swap gears on my truck when i got it anyway.

Well, i just talked to my dad again. He had worked on it today and he said it looked like it was a peice of junk. Now my dad has never really been in to dodges but he knows thats what i want. I dont know if he was saying it because he wants me to get a ford or chevy or because it is true. I only talked to him for a few minutes on his cell phone so i didnt get to many details about what exacly was junk. I was just wondering what yall thought about this? I know alot of yall have rams. What do yall think about them, honestly? How do they hold up? Are there any particular parts of them that yall would consider junky, honestly? Ill post here later exact what he says about it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Honestly, if you ask me, it's all what you get into your head about a certain brand. All brands have faults. I will say that from day one I knew my truck would be needing a transmission because of their reputation. BUT, I myself prefer the interiors of the Dodge over Ford and WAAAY over the new Chevy's. As far as I see it the Chevy's feel as though they are about 8" narrower inside and a foot shorter front to back. Again this is MY opinion and Checvy lovers will most likely disagree. Look at it this way. A person that grows up liking Fords will defend them 90% of the time. and so on for the different makes. I Have always liked Chevy's to work on, but as for toughness, I like Dodge netter. Even though when it comes to cars I am GM all the way, I still think they build a cheaper car. Go to a dealership and test drive one of each for a FULL day and see what you like. Dealerships will let you test drive it for a day or even 2 if they think they will make a sale.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Time to go shopping....for a mopar loving Dad. It seems that everything you want to do he doesn't like or let you do. Save up your money and once you get out from under his roof buy a ram and lift it sky high! Be a rebel!

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
And one more thing do you really expect us to talk bad about our rams? We all did a lot of research on this brand before we spent the $30k+ on our trucks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you want my honest opinion, my Ram with stock gears lost a little take off power when I swapped tires. My tires are real close to 33" tall as opposed to the 30 or 31's that came on it. A new Chevy 5.3 can blow me away off the line but at top end, he has no chance. As far as pulling goes, I hooked up to a F150 with a 5.4L, and the same kind of tires I had at the time, both sets slicker than crap, and I yanked him around while his truck was bouncing vigorously.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Other than the transmission (which was replaced once due to mud/water/big tires and the second one is doing fine) I have had no major problmes with my truck and I run it hard, on and off-road. Its a 97 with 130,000 miles on it.

Besides custom work, mods and regular maintenance, I have really only replaced wear and tear items (all one time only unless noted) and most after 80-90,000 miles:

Brake pads (7x front 3x rear)
Rotors
Calipers
Unit Bearings or hubs
Ball Joints (doing today actually)
Coil
Rear d-shaft u-joints
Front axle shaft u-joints
Passenger stub shaft (my fault though)

I have had no problems with the interior or exterior (other than accidents or wheeling mishaps). I do keep burning out fog lamp bulbs, but that is becuase the lenses cracked and lets moisture in and the bulb goes out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Joe, I have a 2001 Ram quad cab and a 95 Yukon 2 door. Both are excellent vehicles. But when you drive them you get two totally different feelings. In the Yukon I feel like I want to race everything I pull up next to, but in the Ram I could care less even though I am usually the first one off the line (manual tranny and a lead foot) but in the RAM you start looking at every dirt trail, hill etc. and want to get off the pavement. So they are both excellent vehicles just different purposes and my RAM has plenty of power with 33's and a 5.2liter. It's just not as fast as a Chevy and it took me a while to come to accept that fact so I just tell them lets get off this road and see what you got.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-03 07:56, lsgibb wrote:
Joe, I have a 2001 Ram quad cab and a 95 Yukon 2 door. Both are excellent vehicles. But when you drive them you get two totally different feelings. In the Yukon I feel like I want to race everything I pull up next to, but in the Ram I could care less even though I am usually the first one off the line (manual tranny and a lead foot) but in the RAM you start looking at every dirt trail, hill etc. and want to get off the pavement. So they are both excellent vehicles just different purposes and my RAM has plenty of power with 33's and a 5.2liter. It's just not as fast as a Chevy and it took me a while to come to accept that fact so I just tell them lets get off this road and see what you got.

also, do you buy a 4x4 to be fast? if i wanted a fast truck id get a dakota 4x4 with the 4.7, or the R/T. the main reason i bought my '99 ram was because it had a straight front axle and not Inferior Front Suspension.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have a 2001 dodge ram and i have loved it from the day i bought it. my first truck was a 4x2 dodge ram that i lifted and beat the sh** out of and it never complained once. that thing went through stuff that 4x4 fords and chevys got stuck in. my new dodge is my baby so i dont beat it up as much but it still does everything i want it to do with no complaints. my truck is the 4x4 5.9l quad cab and i have a friend that has a single cab chevy 4.8l and sometimes we race. i always beat him off the line due to my limited slip, 4.10 gears and the fact that dodges have tons of torque, but he always catches up because he has more top end and weighs about half as much as me. but he wont be able to beat me anymore due to me putting on headers and a gen2. dodges are the most powerful and the best off road. if u want speed buy a dodge and soop it up. fords and chevys are cheaply made.parts and repairs are cheaper because the parts are cheaper and they are easire to find. my friend that i was just talking about already had to take in his truck to chevy to replace the tranny and he only had 15000 miles on it. if u want an unbiased opinion you cant go to a mopar chat room and ask a bunch of dodge guys which truck is better because u will always get the same opinion.
Dodge: chewing up chevys and s***tin out fords

1 - 9 of 9 Posts