Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 Dodge Ram Charger and it has no lift. I run 31s on it now, but when they wear away i want to put some 33s or 35s on it. I have had my eyes on the 4 inch lift systems for my truck and my question is with a 4 inch lift will i still need or be best to put in a pitman arm and everything to correct the steering? Also what brands of lift systems have all yall had good things to say about?
Any input would be great. -Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Skyjacker makes up to a 8" lift for the older RamChargers I believe. Also, most Skyjacker kits come with pitman arms and such when needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On 2002-01-01 21:14, marshmanjr wrote:
I have an 82 Dodge Ram Charger and it has no lift. I run 31s on it now, but when they wear away i want to put some 33s or 35s on it. I have had my eyes on the 4 inch lift systems for my truck and my question is with a 4 inch lift will i still need or be best to put in a pitman arm and everything to correct the steering? Also what brands of lift systems have all yall had good things to say about?
Any input would be great. -Thanks

Currently I have an 83 Ramcharger. Theres no lift and I have 33s on now. 35s will need a lift. A 4" lift maybe low enough that you may not need a pitman arm. However you'll need to adjust the alignment. I'd go with a block anyway to be safe, besides, you'll need a pitman arm puller to get the old pitman arm off.
Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
At 4", steering correction helps, but is not required. To run 33's on 10" wide wheels you will need the lift. 33's on 8" and no lift, fits for some people, but not all.

The same goes for the 35's. On an 8" wheel, they may fit on a 4" lift, but probably not on 10" wheels. Also, add more room if you are going to run Super Swampers or Ground Hawgs. They are generaly bigger than most other brands and have very large shoulder lugs.

I run 35" Super Swampers on 10" wide wheels with 4.5" of backspacing on my '75 Dodge. I have nearly 8" of lift. On the street, obviously, there's no problems. But, it is very flexible and when I stuff the suspension off road, I do get pretty severe fender contact.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I were to lift any vehicle any amount of lift, I would definitely change the pittman arm to the manufacturers spec. i think you'll be happier in the long run. Bump steer is a pain, and if a shop can't align your truck correctly, you'll get premature tire wear.
As for lift brands, I have a proComp on my Bronco, which is pretty nice, but I have seen alot of trucks with Skyjacker lifts, and I have started to put some Skyjacker parts on my Bronco. I am really impressed with the quality of their parts. Stuff seems to perform pretty well so far on my truck as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts