Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, seems as though I am not the only one with a few simple questions. I am going to put on a different muffler pretty soon. Just checking out a few things right now. I decided to go with the Flowmaster 50 series. Not to loud nor too quiet. When the stock exhaust is taken off, what do I need to do different for the Flowmaster going in? I am sure the new one is quite a bit shorter than stock so I am guessing an extension or two. What about "reducers"? And the "hangers"? Are their going to be any type of serious problems that can't be tackled by doing the job myself?

Lastly, where is the cheapest place to get it at (online). I found one at "truckperformance.com" for $95. Are there any places you all got them cheaper?

I know, a lot of questions for a seemingly simple subject.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i'd recomend either buying a whole kit, or getting the muffler only and having an exhaust shop bend you some new pipe for it. that would make it alot easier. and yes the new muffler is considerably shorter. the stocker is huge!! it weighs alot more than an aftermarket muffler too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so no one recomends just bying a muffler instead of the whole system? It just seems like a waste for the stock system. Its big pipes without a whole lot of bends...i figured on just the muffler because of that reason. Am I wrong here?

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
Airborne I will share with you my personal expierience. I purchased the flowmaster american thunder dual out the back kit from truckperformance.com for 280.00 plus 40 shipping. For a total of 320.00 Gosh Durnit i am so mad at myself for doing that. Anywho the piping i bought which is suppossed to increase hp is SMALLER then the stock exhaust. So in my opinion you should just purchase a muffler. In fact I have my 50 series muffler for sale which was on my car for about a week and a half for 40 dollars. Thats not with shipping which I would hope the purchaser would pay. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i believe the american thunder kit is the 40 series muffler, but i may be wrong. all i know is that its the 2 chamber one and not the 3 chamber muffler. i have the same kit. i dont think my truck is any faster with it but it does feel alot more responsive off the line.

it doesnt matter how big the tubing on the stock system is, it sucks. just look at that thing. i could live in there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well personally anyone who would order a complete system off the internet is crazy! I just got duals on my 2002 with the 4.7 and i got a 40 series flowmaster and all new pipes and 24 inch by 3 inch in diameter chrome tips for all of $187. The work is good as hell and the sound is unbeatable! Don't fool with the whole systems and you can get a flowmaster from jegs for like $75. Take your time and go from muffler shop to muffler shop they should do it for less than $230.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey BlackIceLT1,
I appreciate the looking out, but my problem is I live in a small town and my choices are VERY limited. I have posted to a few guys up in the Phoenix area who (i think) are pretty worldly on what the prices are up there.
My main question was wht change the already seemingly big enough stock pipes and have to pay for all that instead of just the muffler and "fabbing" the rest in.
Seems as though the moral majority says "go with the whole system" whether its made or bought.
Any additional info. would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Airborne

·
Registered
362 Posts
If your not giong to run a body lift then I would get the cat back kit and have the nice mandrel bent tubes and bolt it on yourself.

·
Registered
503 Posts
uncloe mark why do you say if he is not getting body lift to go with the mandrel bent?

·
Registered
503 Posts
uncle mark!! i have the magnaflow cat back system with mandrel bent pipes and 3" tips it sounds nice! is this going to be a problem when i put my suspension and body lift on this weekend??

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought a 3 inch center inlet/outlet 40 series flowmaster for $59 and paid a local shop $80 to bend a 3 inch pipe to the stock exit and weld it all together. For a total of $139, I have a tough, simple system that sounds awesome. My truck runs better with this setup than it did with the Gibson split exit I had before. The rear exhaust hangers on the gibson system would break constantly on offroad trips and as a result the pipes were in bad shape. I don't think the pre-fabbed systems are worth the money when you can go to a local shop and have whatever you want made for alot less. Also, I have read on this forum that a single 3 inch system usually performs better than a single muffler/dual outlet system on a Dodge Ram.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the problem with the body lift is that it lifts the body off of the frame and the exhaust in connected to the frame. so in effect of putting on a body lift, you will have a gap between the body and the tips. if you want to fix it, you will have to move the exhaust tips up so that they are again flush with the body. its not really a problem, but it looks kinda stupid to have that gap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well Airborn I guess if you just wanted the muffler and left the stock pipes you would need to purchase the muffler online at like Jegs.com or Summitracing.com and get a 40 series with 3 inch inlet and 2 2 1/2 outlets and then maybe the muffler shops should be able to reduce them and hook you up with some pipe, you shouldnt need more than two feet! If you want the duals then i guess just go with the system if you cant get a muffler shop to do it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After checking around, I have found a few shops that can do it for minimal cash. From what I am hearing, there will be about the same impedence with a single in/single out as with a single in/dual out. I probably will go with the 50 series though. don't need anything too loud.
Unless their are any other suggestions out there. Thanks for the insight once again.

Airborne

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ok class, pay careful attention again. (bangs on chalkboard with pointer) Heres the poop, the dope, the facts, ONE more time.
The reason split outlet mufflers DON'T work is Size. Lets face it class, most are half the size of the stocker, And when you try to cram the same amount of VOLUME in a smaller container, well..yes? thats right it doesnt fit, so its...class? Restricted! right! And why would it be louder, well theres not enough area so that the frequencies of sound dont get all cancelled and absorbed before they exit the muffler. Sure its louder, but not as powerful. Now lets take a larger free flowing single system. Notice in this system, the pipe gets larger before it hits the muffler. This actually helps by scavenging or "extracting", or yes.....right , "sucking" if you must, the spent gasses out, and thru this slightly smaller but still larger then a dual out muffler..out thru a Larger 3 inch tail pipe. Note students, the smooth curves in the pipes, not the notch and shrink bends from cheesy muffler shop benders, that create turbulence and restriction. Finally class, remember, you'll always pay a price for excellence, and cheap is as cheap does..or, you get what you pay for. Class dismissed!
Dd

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I dont understand, why you guys spend all this money on exhaust? cut the factory 3' muffler off, put something small on or nothing at all, and run the pipes as straight as possible, id should be done under 300 bucks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
airborne, since everyone else is helping you spend your money – i will chime in as well. if you go with the duals out the back, get stainless steel tips instead of the chrome. on my first system, my chrome tips started to rust after about 24 months. they also pitted on the bottom side. now i know that folks out there will say that if you get a quality tip this will not happen; but nothing is going to beat the stainless tip. i chose the magnaflow polished t304 stainless rolled edge tip. they look great, can take some abuse and will probably outlast my exhaust system.

http://www.magnaflow.com/03partstitle/03tipf.htm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts